How do I correct upper lip lines/bumps? And is it possible to lift one side of my upper lip for symmetry with filler? (photos)

In certain angles, I've noticed either lip lines or bumps that have started to develop. Either way, it's not smooth and is prematurely aging my lip area. I don't have any filler or Botox in this area but I do have lip implants still in from long ago. Also, how do I go about lifting my left upper lip (see first photo) to match the curvature of the opposing side? Thank you.

Bumps after lip implant

Thanks for your question and photos. Although I dont think removing the implant will fully correct the problem I believe the first stage in correcting this and avoiding it getting worse is to remove the implant. After enough time has passed to allow the reaction and swelling from the removal to pass, I would recommend Restylane or Juvederm fillers to try and get the amount of fullness desired and to correct and asymmetry.

Santa Monica Dermatologist

Smoothing Lip Lines

If the implant is there to stay, then we had success with filling over and around those to create a smooth , more natural appearance  BELOTERO BALANCE  can gently create an elegant finishing touch to
your appearance, filling small gaps beneath the skin’s surface and improving
the appearance of stubborn etched-in smile lines and vertical lip lines above
and around the lips!   We always advise collagen stimulation and skin revitalization with Laser Genesis as well for those fine lines and asymmetry.

Ronald Moser, MD
San Juan Capistrano Physician

Asymmetries are normal but fillers can help!

Facial asymmetries are total normal, although some people's are more noticeable. Have you thought about having your lip implants removed? Are you happy with how they look? Some of the asymmetry could be from the implant shifting over to one side. That being said, I've had good luck placing filler into the lips of patients with implants to make them more symmetrical. Make sure you seek out someone with experience in this area. Good luck!

Lip Aging -- fillers, lasers, radiofrequency, microneedling/PRP

Fillers and lasers can be used to improve this area. I suggest you see an expert for a consultaiton.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lip Issues

Physical would be ideal, but it is highly likely that the irregularities are secondary to the lip implants, which is fairly common and one reason why I prefer fillers or fat for lip augmentation. The first step is probably removal of the implants, followed by lip augmentation with fat or fillers. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Lines around mouth

Getting rid of lines around the mouth can require a combination approach. It can involve injecting the lines with a thin filler (such as belotero or restylane silk) in addition to small microdroplets of botox to relax the lines. Sometimes I will add skin resurfacing (with either microneedling + prp or laser treatments) to improve the texture of the skin for better results. Good luck. Best, Dr H 

Sanaz Harirchian, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers Can Work Well To Smooth Upper Lip Irregularities

First, let me say that I am sorry that you are experiencing this problem. Reactions, such as this, occurring even years after permanent implants, and that are very difficult or even impossible to treat via surgical removal, are certainly not unheard of and are one of the reasons I prefer the use of non-permanent fillers for lip and perioral rejuvenation. Having said this, I would agree with my colleague that removing them would likely worsen the situation, rather than improve it. The use of hyaluronic acid filler, such as Belotero Balance, which possesses little to no tendency to engender the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect, when injected superficially (as would be needed here) would be my first choice in my Upper East Side Manhattan practice. (In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of  regulatory agency approved fillers are available, I would choose Teosyal Redensity II). The filler can not only be used to smooth the bumpy region, but elevate and create more symmetry on the other side. As a real world test beforehand, I might suggest injecting a small amount of saline or diluted anesthetic into the proposed treatment sites in order to give you a better idea of what may actually achieved by filler treatment. The results of this pre-test generally last about five or ten minutes, enough time to let you see what might be accomplished by actual filler treatment. Make sure you consult with a board certified aesthetic physician with experience and expertise in the advanced techniques of non-surgical lip rejuvenation using fillers. Be certain to check out his/her before and after photos. Best of luck to you.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD

Using Filler to smooth lip lines

Hello! Thank you for your question, and for sharing your photos. It looks as if your lip implant has created some scar tissue, which has lead to the uneven look you are experiencing. A small amount of very soft filler (such as Juvederm Ultra Plus, or Restylane Silk) can soften some of those lumps and help correct the asymmetry, but the presence of the implant and surrounding scar tissue will make this a complicated case. This is a situation in which an in-person consult with a surgeon is probably a good idea. Given the presence of the implant, I would not get filler from anyone except a surgeon who is familiar with the placement of lip implants. You may also wish to consider removal of the implant followed by filler injections to restore volume. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Bumps from prior lip implants

Filler can be used to smooth this out. I would use Restylane Silk for this. Those bumps are clearly related to the implants. Removing implants from "long ago" will probably lead to a worse problem than keeping them in.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

How do I correct upper lip lines/bumps? And is it possible to lift one side of my upper lip for symmetry with filler?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Though an in-person examination would be best to assess the degree of scarring present from the permanent lip implant, subtle lip volume correction, lifting of one side, and improvement of contour can be performed with a thinner hyaluronic acid filler and possibly Botox.  If the scarring from the lip implant is significant and causing the asymmetry, you may wish to consider removal.  Hope this helps.