Significant redness and swelling around eyes only when spending time in cold environments - Can botox/fillers be responsible?

I get botox and fillers around my eyes and brow, and have been doing this for several years, without a single problem. However, when I spend time in cold air environments (e.g., skating, curling - 1-2 hours), the area around my eyes gets very red and swells. It looks awful and stays for a while after getting into a warmer environment, but eventually the redness goes. The puffiness lingers. Can this be due to restricted blood flow from the injections?

Redness and Swelling Around Eyes in Cold Weather

I have never heard of Botox or fillers having this effect. No, Botox does not restrict blood vessels. If this is significantly bothering you, I would discuss this with your doctor and possibly have the filler dissolved. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Significant redness and swelling around eyes when in cold environments.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your cold weather environment eye changes.  I have never had patient's complain of these particular eye symptoms and by themselves fillers and Botox do not constrict blood flow.   If this never occurred prior to treatment, ask your injector to dissolve your filler material and allow your botox to wear off to assess improvement.  Best wishes.

Redness and swelling around eyes in cold weather

This possibly is related to the filler but not likely. If it bothers you significantly, discuss with your doctor and possibly get the filler removed. I would expect problems also when not cold if it is the filler.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Can Botox lead to intermittent redness around eyes?

Thank you for sharing your question. Botox and fillers would not be responsible for the problem you are experiencing. No, Botox does not constrict blood vessels. Follow up with your medical doctor. Good luck,