I live in Canada so I am wondering is Fraxel Lazer the same as IPL (Intense Pulse Light) treatments? (Photo)

I am 52 and I have in large pores and of course age spots,uneven skin tone and some dilated blood vessels on my chin and corner of my nose that I want to treat.Can you please help me to what kind of treatment I need so confusing..with different lazer treatments.Thank you, Lorraine

IPL versus Fraxel Laser for age spots and pores

Fraxel laser is a far superior laser for treating age spots, uneven skin tone and pores.  The IPL is actually not a laser but rather intensed pulsed light.  Fraxel can accomplish in one treatment what would take 6 or more treatments of the IPL.  In addition, Fraxel can help with enlarged pores and fine lines which the IPL cannot address.  The best laser for dilated blood vessels is the V-Bream laser.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist who is familiar with these lasers for the best cosmetic results.

Fractional treatment vs IPL

IPL is "intense pulsed light". It is a light, not a laser. IPL treats browns and reds in the skin. It is for skin tone and discoloration. Fractional devices like Fraxel are fractionated radio frequency, and are again, not a laser. They don't treat colors; they are for resurfacing including fine lines and wrinkles. So, if you are talking about blood vessels, uneven skin tone, and general discoloration of the skin, then IPL would be more beneficial for what you want to treat. But there are also many, many, many IPL devices on the market so find an office with a good machine, a lot of skill, and a physician involved actively in your care. Do not search for a cheap deal - search for an office with skill.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Fraxel VS IPL

For your concerns you could actually benefit from both treatments. From the image you provided I would recommend starting with the Fraxel dual procedure to address mild skin laxity, fine lines, enlarged pores, and discoloration. Generally patients begin with a series of three treatments done over a 3 month period. After completing this series you would be able to benefit from IPL to help with any redness and small vessles as Fraxel Dual does not address these concerns.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD