Stitch forgotten 18 days after external levator resection surgery for unilateral ptosis (Photo)

I had unilateral ptosis repair 18 days ago and the doctor used an external approach and left the stitchrs for about 10 days before removing them. Now, I'm noticing a black bump on my incision which I have asked my doctor about and he told me to ignore it and it'll resolve on its own. Is this good advice or should I get a second opinion? I'm afraid of an infection or further complications.

Possible Retained Suture

It does appear from the photograph that there may be a residual suture. Deeper absorbable or permanent sutures are often placed during this type of surgery and it may be that you are having a foreign body reaction to the suture. I would suggest seeing your surgeon for further evaluation and exploration for possible removal or replacement.

New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Prominent scarring

Hi there. Greetings from the UK! At 18 days post surgery I myself would remove any prominent dissolvable sutures anyway as they've already done their job and can promote a scar reaction. I noticed that your wound does look a bit prominent than is usual for my patients. Not too sure if you can get it in Saudi Arabia but I would definitely discuss with your surgeon to start an anti-scarring topical agent such as silicone gel such as Dermatix or Kelocote. Best wishes David

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

This is likely a spitting stitch.

See your surgeon to have this removed.  Buried sutures are often left after surgery.  Many of these are absorbable sutures.  This are suppose to break down on their own.  However, sometimes the body has a different idea.  This is a normal process.