Breast reduction from 38 DD or E; what is the best type of incision?

32 years old,no children,size 38 DD/ E. Ht is 159 cm, 72 KG,medium body fram,what is the ideal size would be,can I go for big C ,with good results,less complication ?and what is the best incision type would be? I have bad fibrosistic changes, hx of removed fibroadenoma.. very sensitive breast tissue to hormonal changes ,ovulation is horrible time,and I have history of ovarian cysits..am afraid of making the pain worst after surgery they sag dramatically recently because of monthly engorgment.

Breast reduction

At your size it is probably possible to use a horizontal scar only (and around the nipple), but it is hard to say without measurements.

You would do yourself a favour by losing some weight, you will have less chance of a post-op complication and the surgery will be easier.

Try to lose a couple of kilos and then see a plastic surgeon. I am afraid all surgery is painful to an extent post-op, but breastreduction surgery is not so painful as compared to some other forms of surgery.

Best of luck

Breast reduction candidate?

Thank you for the question.  Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. “Official” recommendations of course would necessitate in-person consultation.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.  

It will also be important that you communicate your goals with breast reduction surgery carefully; discussing goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size can be a source of miscommunication and/or disappointment. In my practice, I find the use of goal pictures and computer imaging very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “ proportionate” or “C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  the use of computer imaging is becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

When the time is right,  seek consultation with well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Ideal breast surgery

when planning a breast reduction measurements are taken. The distance between nipple position and your breast crease help determine if a inferior or medial pedicle is best for you.  Always need to leave a certain volume of breast pedicle to insure healthy healing of the nipple complex. 

I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon. During consultation they can review the different options and amount of tissue to be removed and final size.

Most women are very happy after breast reduction surgery with their size as well as the relief from the neck , back and shoulder pain.

Best of luck

Helena Guarda, MD
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon