Which one is better Botox or Fillers?

Hi , I'm 23 years old and lost a lot of my weight and my face skin drop specially my mouth i have sad lips , my cheek are drop a little , before my face was like V shape and now its square shape . my questions are : 1 - am i too young for having botox ? 2- after the botox and filler fade from my skin will my face drop more? i mean will it be worse than before having the injunction? 3- do they fast the process of aging the face skin? 4- do both of them have Long-Term Side Effects ? thanks

Photographs will yield the answer.

The quick answer to your questions:

(1)  You're not too young for Botox
(2)  Botox and/or fillers will not accelerate your facial aging and relaxation
(3)  Long term side effects have not been seen with any significant frequency with either of these products.  There are many resources to read regarding the potential risks, and you certainly should familiarize yourself with these.

Furthermore, the first thing you need to do is to have an experienced, artistic injector examine you and discuss your concerns.  Photographs would help us on this forum, but they are no replacement for an in person consultation.

Once you've undergo that thorough evaluation, you'll likely need a combination of fillers and Botox to achieve your desire result.

Be careful that the person who cares for you is experienced and knowledgeable in this field.  There are too numerous to count examples of Botox and filler injections gone wrong.  Do your homework.

Best of luck.  

Botox & Fillers

No, you aren't too young for Botox. And yes, Botox and fillers can definitely help with your "sad lips" and hallow cheeks. And no, they won't speed up your facial aging. In fact, quite the opposite. I would suggest that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or cosmetic dermatologist in your area to discuss whether or not Botox and fillers would be right for you. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Botox vs. Fillers

Thanks so much for your questions. I would recommend having a consultation with a board certified physician who can assess you in person to see what you are a good candidate for. If you have lost weight, the changes that you notice in your face may be due to volume loss. If this is the case, Botox might not be the most effective treatment for you. There are many different types of injectable fillers that could potentially be of benefit to you. Botox and fillers are not dangerous and do not have any long term side effects. With that being said, it’s important to find a doctor who has a lot of experience working with these products to ensure that you get the best result possible. It's important to consider that Botox and fillers treat different concerns; Botox helps relax active wrinkles and fillers help replenish volume. Botox and fillers won’t have any long lasting effect on the natural aging process of your face, and once they wear off you can either choose to be re-treated or not. Your face will not be any different than before you had the fillers injected, meaning that they don’t create any permanent changes.

Babak Azizzadeh, MD

Botox or filler

It sounds like  most of your sagging is due to volume loss after the weight loss I would recommend the filler first. However at your age I would consider a long-term filler such as fat grafting. This will all depend upon how stable you are at your current weight and your long-term goals for weight gain or loss. These are really good questions, you should talk to a board-certified plastic surgeon  in your area who does a lot of facial fat grafting.There are no long-term down sides to fillers or Botox!Good luck 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Which one is better Botox or Fillers?

Thank you for your question. No , you are not too young for Botox/ Filler. Your face will be the same as previous, with Botox your lines may have diminished. Schedule a consultation with a board certified injector to discuss any possible long term side effects. Filler is excellent for areas of volume loss. Botox and fillers are used together, but for different purposes.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Which one is better Botox or Fillers?

Advanced aesthetic physicians are increasingly using dermal fillers such as Juvederm® and Cosmetic® enhance or "make prettier" the facial features of young women. As both products do resorb within months and we all age on an ongoing basis, some repetition of treatment is necessary to maintain great results. Nothing hastens skin aging like sun overexposure, and all side effects of all FDA approved medications are easily accessible online.  

Manjula Jegasothy, MD
Miami Dermatologist

Botox vs Fillers

You are not too young and above the FDA-approved age group.

Botox is primarily used in the upper face to prevent muscle movement that will cause lines at rest. It can be used in conjunction with fillers in the lower face when correcting lips/mouth. Fillers are primarily used to soften wrinkles or skin folds or to replace age-related or exercise-induced fat loss.

For weight loss that begins to cause deepening of nasolabial folds, one can get started by placing filler in the furrows that are present. More often, a better treatment plan would be to replace some of the volume in the mid face and upper cheeks to help lift/soften those lines and replace the natural fat that was lost. Having a longterm plan where you add a little filler at a time will build on itself and return your face to the V or upside down heart shape that is very natural.

They wear off slowly and will not accelerate the aging process. In fact, an additional treatment of filler as a touchup several months later has an additive effect causing formation of new collagen and the effects will last even longer.

Most adverse reactions are associate with injections such as pain, swelling, bruising and are usually mild. You should always go to an experienced injector such as a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon. 

Robert Bacigalupi, MD

Botox and fillers

If you are looking to enhance mid face volume, you need filler, fat or implants and not Botox but since you did not post any pictures its not possible to advise you on your specific cosmetic needs. I would advise that you consult a facial plastic surgeon in person.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Different, but both are useful

Botox and filler are often confused by laypeople but they are completely different.  Botox relaxes the muscles that cause lines such as between the eyebrows and crows feet.  Fillers restore volume or fill in lines.  With your weight loss you may be a great candidate for Voluma, a filler than can restore your face to a more pleasing heart shape rather than the squared off look you are now describing. 

Karen S. Harkaway, MD
Moorestown Dermatologic Surgeon

What is better? Botox or Fillers?

Both are TOTALLY different and work differently.

Toxins, such as Botox, Dysport, and Xeomin, paralyze muscles--stop them from moving. They are used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles that are caused by movement--such as the frown lines, crow's feet, and forehead furrows.  They have minimal to no effect on wrinkles that are present at rest (when one is not moving or contracting a muscle).

Fillers, such as Restylane and Juvederm, add volume. They work to fill in wrinkles that are present at rest or to add volume (i.e. to the lips, cheeks, and chin). They should not be used to fill in wrinkles that are present ONLY when moving and not present at rest.

These products are all extremely safe with no known long term side-effects.

Robert S. Bader, MD
Boca Raton Dermatologic Surgeon