Symmetrical question.

If your assymetrical to begin with what is the likelyhood of a symmetrical result? I'd be interested in getting a lift as well as implants. I'm wanting to achieve a natural result.

Breast asymmetry

This is a fantastic question and definitely one you should discuss during a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. I would need to see your breasts and the asymmetry to give you an accurate answer on what is a realistic result for you. There are many things we can do to get the breasts to be as symmetrical as possible, given the starting point. But it is very important to have an open conversation with your surgeon and understand what is realistic for you. Hope that helps! 

Asymmetries of breasts

are often diminished with breast procedures as the goal of most surgeons if to have the best symmetry possible.  But in reality, perfect symmetry is really abnormal and should not be anticipated.  But you should have marked improvements over what you started with.

Curtis Wong, MD

Optimizing symmetry

Thank you for your question.  Generally, symmetry can be improved but it's impossible to achieve perfect symmetry.  Naturally, breasts are not 100% symmetric to begin with.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Symmetrical question

It is important to have realistic expectations regarding the outcome of your surgery. That includes the understanding that surgeons can reduce asymmetry if it is significant but all humans have asymmetry in all areas, it is normal, and it will continue to exist to some degree after surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Asymmetry after breast surgery

Everyone starts with some degree of asymmetry. Asymmetries prior to surgery will also be reflected in the final results. In many situations, the asymmetry can be improved upon. Any asymmetry itself is usually a very small factor in the enjoyment you get with your new look after surgery.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry correction

Thank you for your question.  Breast asymmetry can be improved but usually includes a combination of breast lift with implants.  The lower larger breast is typically lifted and implants are usually placed in both breasts to achieve symmetry.  For more information please read below:

Symmetry after breast surgery if asymmetry before?

Thank you for the question.  Generally speaking, improving symmetry is very likely; achieving perfect symmetry is very unlikely (even for patients who do not have significant asymmetry prior to surgery).    Sometimes, especially for patients who start out with very asymmetrical breasts, more than one operation is necessary to  achieve the desired outcome.

It is important that patients  achieve realistic expectations prior to proceeding with any type of surgery.   Your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you when it comes to what kind of outcome you can reasonably expect.

You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast asymmetry concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.   Best wishes for  An outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Breast lift and implants: Symmetry is very possible

The likelihood is high for achieving symmetry with a breast lift and implants. I most often use different size implants to correct the assymmetry. To see before and after results of women who had breast lift and implants, click on the link below. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths." Good luck to you. 

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

Hello and thanks for your question

Most women have some degree of asymmetry - we like to say that most women's breasts are "sisters, not twins"! There are many ways of addressing asymmetry, and in most cases, symmetry can be improved with a combination of breast implants and lift techniques. It will be important for you to be examined on person so that your surgeon can discuss options for improving your symmetry and reaching your goals.

Best wishes-

Symmetry -vs- Asymmetry?

As other colleagues have stated, asymmetry is the 'norm' and not the 'exception' in plastic surgery, as it is in life. We are all asymmetric everywhere, and there is no plastic surgeon on the planet who can obtain perfect symmetry. That being said, we do try our best to minimize significant asymmetries where they exist, for a better aesthetic result. In breast surgery, this can involve asymmetric implant augmentation with/without any one of several lift procedures.

Over 20 years ago when I had just started in practice, I performed an augmentation for a patient using implants of the same volume. At her follow-up appointment I was dismayed that she had some minor volume asymmetry, although she was very happy with her result. The patient told me to always remember that "they're sisters, not twins." I have never forgotten that encounter, and have always tried to share her words of wisdom with my patients. 

Michael F. Bohley, MD