Is it silly to agonize between 425cc and 450ccs?

Had a great consult with my PS & surgery is booked. HP silicone cohesive submuscular. Trouble deciding between 425 & 450ccs. My BWD is 13.8, 5'9" & 155 lbs. I understand the projection in each is equal but 450 is a bit wider(12.6cm) so has more volume. My PS said that when the implants are in your body they will be a bit smaller than when I'm trying on sizers because the muscle holds them tighter. Do you think the difference is width/weight would be perceptible? Should I be agonizing over 25ccs?

Honestly, yes. The difference in so small, roughly about a 5% difference, that it is not worth agonizing would be hard pressed to tell the difference. If you tried sizers of both on and couldn't decide between them, then choose the larger one, since the implant will look slightly smaller under your tissues than the sizer looked on top of your tissues.

Best way to sleep after breast surgery?

Thank you for the question. Online consultants will not be able to provide you with specific enough advice to be truly helpful. Much will depend on your specific anatomic features; for example, a 25 cc difference may be noticeable on a very petite patient but not on a patient with a larger frame. 

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.
Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link/video, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Honestly, the answer is yes! Twenty-five cc's is less than two tablespoons, so you won't be able to tell the difference. When my patients are trying to decide between two adjacent sizes, I usually suggest going with the larger size. Hope that helps, and good luck!

Don't agonize

You've already arrived at the right answer.  Do not agonize over 25 cc.  Realize that 30 cc is 1 oz.  We are talking about a small medicine cup's worth of volume.  Get the 450s and enjoy.  You basically can't make a bad choice between those two implants.  You'll look great.  Best wishes. 

Levi J. Young, MD
Overland Park Plastic Surgeon

We seem to get this question all the time. If you are worried about being too small, go with the bigger one and vice versa. But the difference is negligible.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Between 425-450 cc implants

To answer your question, No, I wouldn't agonize over 25 cc's which is a little less than an ounce.  I advise my patients to go with the bigger of the two since most women wish they went a little bigger after their surgery.

Chad Robbins, MD

Which implant

The difference between these two implants is very small and probably not visible by anyone once they are placed under the muscle and breast.  Some of my patients regret that they went to small, and for this reason I would recommend that you pick the larger of the two. Good luck with your surgery.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Deciding the final volume of breast implants of two sizes close together.

The difference between these two prostheses is very small. The vast majority of patients when asked a year or so after the operation state they wish they had gone a bit bigger. If you are debating between two similar sizes I would suggest going with the larger.

The difference between the two is not visibly different. It is 25ml difference which is like a drop in the bucket. Many women also wish they would have gone a little bigger. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast implants - which size is better?

Thank you for asking about your breast implants.

• The difference of 25 cc is the difference between a tablespoon + 2 teaspoons of volume.
  • It doesn't sound much but to some women, it feels important.
  • Would you be happier if you ended up a little too little or a little too large?
  • If too large is better, it usually makes sense to choose the larger implant.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS