Will my diastasis and hernia be fixed and covered?

My diastasis recti 1.5 inches wide, and 1.5 cm deep, runs from the bottom of my ribcage to below my bellybutton. I also have an umbilical hernia, about the size of a quarter. My job is very strenuous, as I do massage and other spa services, and a 3 year old that I need to carry often. My ultrasound doctor said both will be fixed if I want, but at what cost? Is it covered? I have a "pinchy" feeling often, intermittent sharp pains, feel bloated, lower back pain. I meet my surgeon next week.

Hernia repair covered

Hernia repair is usually covered by insurance, but unfortunately the diastasis recti correction probably won't be.

Insurance payment for repair of diastasis

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

Insurance should cover the repair of the umbilical hernia.
The cost of the repair of the diastasis needs to be discussed with the surgeon.
It is usually not covered by insurance.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope this information is helpful. Best wishes.

Tummy Tuck for Men

Diastasis repair with male tummy tuck is not covered by insurance in the states.  I'm not sure about Canada.

Symptomatic umbilical hernia can be a covered benefit.

To be sure, see two or more experienced, board-certified Plastic Surgeons for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

As you are probably now aware, the diastasis repair is part of an abdominoplasty.  Abdominoplasty itself is not covered by insurance.

The umbilical hernia is another issue that you need to have addressed.  Tell your board certified Plastic Surgeon all about it.  He or she should take it seriously because you are symptomatic from the umbilical hernia with pinching and bloating.  This is not normal and could indicate that your hernia is getting "stuck" intermittently.  In this case I would send you to a General Surgeon to evaluate the hernia and determine the best way to get it fixed.  We can fix small umbilical hernias, but larger symptomatic ones should at least be evaluated by a General Surgeon.

Insurance will cover fixing an umbilical hernia.  It will probably be possible to have everything fixed during the same surgery, even if a General Surgeon needs to come in first and fix the umbilical hernia.  Once that is done your Plastic Surgeon can do the abdominoplasty.  Best of luck!

Repair of diastasis is standard in abdominoplasty. If I have a patient who has a small umbilical hernia, I fix it. If they have insurance that I take, I submit it to insurance. If they don't have insurance that I take. I fix all the same with no additional charge to the patient. Some doctors team up with general surgeons for larger hernia repairs...but with a small hernia, that is often unnecessary. 

Diastasis and umbilical hernia repair

While your plastic surgeon can surgically address the concomitant presence of a diastasis recti and an umbilical hernia, it would be necessary to determine whether it is more appropriate to approach the surgery via laparoscopic or via a traditional abdominoplasty approach.  In the United States, the diastasis per se is typically considered cosmetic and not covered by insurance.  Umbilical hernias are classified as sliding, incarcerated, reducible, etc, and may or may not be symptomatic.  They can be treated with or without mesh depending on your particularly anatomy and your surgeon's preference. Bloating and stomach pain could be indicative of potential serious complications of a hernia and it would be wise to get the opinion of your surgeon as to the urgency of treatment.

Elliot Lach, MD

Thanks for writing,

In the U.S. the diastasis is not covered and depending on the insurance the hernia is covered and usually is. In Canada I don't know the rules any more, having trained at McGill in Montreal, at that time the hernia would be covered but rules change. Your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon will know the answer and will help you make the correct decisions to optimize your results. Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery