4 months post op lower eyelid surgery. I have scelaral show and the outer corners are a little blunt. Any suggestion?

Please look at photos below and advise if I the sceleral show after under eyelid surgery will resolve by itself or do I need a correction ? What would be the most effective and minimal procedure?

Doctor Answers 3

Lower eyelid retraction after blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You have postblepharoplasty lower eyelid retraction with scleral show. Please see following link for more details on treatment. You may benefit from lower eyelid retraction surgery. See an experienced oculoplastic surgeon.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

Lower eyelid malposition after lower blepharoplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

without knowing the details of your surgery (transconjunctival or skin approach) and seeing pre op photos of your eyes, it is difficult to make an assessment. Given that it has been 4 months, however, I am skeptical that it would improve much on its own. Correcting it depends a lot on what was done. If too much skin was removed, you may need more skin replaced. If you have laxity in your canthal tendon, that can be tightened up. If you have internal scarring, other maneuvers would have to be used to release and repair that. Best to see the surgeon who performed your surgery and tell him/her your concerns. 

Lily Lee, MD
Pasadena Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Scleral show after lower lid bleph

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

There is no easy way to fix this.  After 4 months there is little chance that the lid is going to elevate.  So you will need a revision surgery if you wish to fix this.  One of the biggest issues is how tight the lid is.  If the lid can not be elevated with the fingers, then this indicates there is some deep scar tissue and/or not enough skin.  You may need a graft placed on the inside of the lid to help elevate it, and possibly a skin graft.  This can not be determined from a picture.

You should see an oculoplastic surgeon who does reconstructive work so they can appropriately evaluate the eyelid.       

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.