Does your body type and breast shape have a lot to do with the look of your implant?

Does your body type and breast shape have a lot to do with the look of your implant or is it strictly depending on the surgeon?

More you than the implant with more breast tissue

In my opinion, the more breast tissue overlying the implant that you have, the less visible the implant type or shape will be. And ,someone with very little breast tissue, the entire shape of the breast is usually related to the type, projection ratio, and/or shape of the underlying implant. Your plastic surgeon, by looking at you, with a fair amount of experience, can recommend the type  and size of breast implant that will meet your goals. Best of luck.

Good question. Much of the final look and feel achieved after breast augmentation surgery depends on several factors:

1. The initial shape, size (volume of breast tissue), symmetry of the patient's breasts. In general, the better the preoperative breast appearance the more likely the breast augmentation “look” and feel will be optimal. 

2. The experience/skill level of the surgeon is important in determining the final outcome. For example, the accurate and gentle dissection of the breast implant pockets are critical in producing long-term well-placed breast implants. I personally think that these 2 factors are more important than any others, including type (saline or silicone) or model (low/moderate/high profile) of implant.

3. The type of implant used may determine the final outcome, especially if the patient does not have significant covering breast or adipose tissue. For example, some surgeons feel that silicone implants have a more natural look and feel than saline implants because silicone gel has a texture that is similar to breast tissue. In other words, if a patient has very low body fat and/or very little breast tissue, the silicone gel implants may provide a more "natural" result.   

4. The size and model of breast implant used may make a significant difference in the final outcome. Therefore, it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C or D cup” etc

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.

To summarize: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Communicate your goals carefully as well.  Chances are you will be very pleased with the outcome of breast augmentation surgery. 

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast augmentation concerns), helps. Best wishes. 

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for the question and with a straight breast augmentation the surgeon is essentially putting a space occupying mass under your own tissue to enhance the breast. With breasts that are drooping or misshappen the surgeon would be doing more then just an augmentation to enhance their appearance, but this would be discussed at your consultation.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD