I have a pacemaker for my cardiomyopathy. I'm 45. Can I still get a Tummy Tuck and Lipo?

My heart went into a left lower branch bundle blockage.I've had an angiogram and my arteries are perfect,extreme amount of tests they have come to the conclusion that a common cold virus went threw my body.So the pacemaker is to correct it so my heart doesn't go into the blockage, I'm on Carvedilol 12.5 mlg twice a day; Ramipril 10mlg a day; and Rosuvastatin 5mlg a day. My question is ,after clearance from my Dr. could I still get a Tummy Tuck and possible Lipo done

Tummy tuck when patient has a pacemaker

I would speak with your surgeon of choice regarding this.  I recommend to my patients that have any kind of cardiac history to get a cardiac clearance from their cardiologist prior to scheduling surgery.  This is helpful to the surgeon, anesthesiologist and the patient for pre and post op care.  

You may be able to get the surgery once you get the cardiac clearance.  This will not be successfully answered in this forum.  It is always best to ask these questions of your chosen surgeon as recommendations may be different.

Pacemaker & tummy tuck surgery

Since you've been cleared by your cardiologist for surgery, it is really going to be up to your plastic surgeon. Make sure to bring your complete medical history with you to the consultation so that you can discuss pros and cons with your surgeon.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Elective surgery for a person with cardiomyopathy

The risks and complications from a tummy tuck are much to high on a person with a cardiomyopathy.  These are elective procedures that need to be done under ideal circumstances, it is not worth placing your life at risk for a flatter tummy, I personally would not perform this procedure on you.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck with Heart Concerns

Tummy tuck surgery is actually pretty big surgery.  There's a lot going on during that surgery.  Tissue is removed and sometimes there's a fair amount of blood in the tissue that is removed.   Because of this, a person needs to be in good overall health before undergoing this type of procedure.  Someone with known heart disease should visit with both a cardiologist as well as a primary care physician and let both know about the desire to undergo a tummy tuck.  Those doctors would perform the appropriate tests and labwork to help determine the likelihood of having heart/lung/other problems around the time of a tummy tuck.  There is no way to predict with 100% accuracy whether someone will or won't have heart or other medical problems during or after a tummy tuck.  Visiting with doctors who do thorough evaluations of known existing medical problems is the best way to minimize those types of risks.  Plastic surgeons often provide amazing results with their tummy tuck techniques, but they are not usually the best source of information about how healthy a person's heart is.  A heart doctor (cardiologist) is the best person to visit with about that.  Similarly a person with known lung disease should visit with a pulmonologist before surgery.  Additionally the type of facility in which the surgery takes place is important.  For someone who has heart issues, it is probably best that the surgery take place in a full hospital, just in case there are some cardiac complications.  Undergoing a tummy tuck in an office suite is not, in my opinion, the most optimal way to go in this type of situation.

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and pacemaker

Thanks for your inquiry and excellent question.  If your Cardiologist feels it is an acceptable risk then it may be okay.  You definitely would want to have the procedure at a full hospital with in patient stay, ICU care and medical consultants--good luck.