Is it safe to exercise facial and neck muscles with FacExer after having Botox injection? (Photo)

I am using exercising with FacExer - exerciser for face and neck muscle strengthening. It works great for all areas besides my forehead. I'd like to have Botox for forehead wrinlkes, but I don't know if I still will be able to exercise.

Exercise after Botox

It is safe, however, for best results, we have our patients wait 4 hours after Botox before any exercise.

Melbourne Dermatologist

There is no correct responses! But purely as a 'what if' concept I would wait 1 day after the BOTIOX injections....

Botox and exercise

Thank you for your question.  Botox and exercise is perfectly acceptable.  Because the FaceExer is being directly used on the areas of botox injections - I would wait at least one day before using it again after Botox injections.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Facial Exercise after Botox

It is safe to use the FacExer to "exercise" your facial muscles after being injected with a neuromodulator (#Botox, #Dysport, #Xeomin).  Although the Botox should be up taken into the muscle within 5 minutes or less following injection, you may consider waiting for at least one hour after injection to make sure there is no increased diffusion of the #neuromodulator.  

With that being said, you may not want to exercise the depressor muscles of the face.  One set of sepressor muscles to avoid is shown in the first picture you provided.  This muscle, called the DAO (depressor anguli oris), pulls down the corners of the mouth and leads to the marionette lines.  Another significant broad depressor muscle is the platsyma, or neck muscle.  Remember that exercising these depressor muscles leads to greater neck banding and pulling down on the corners of the mouth.

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Houston Dermatologic Surgeon

Exercise after Botox injection

I typically advise patients to wait for a day before exercising however I do not think that there is a right or wrong answer to the question.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it safe to exercise facial and neck muscles with FacExer after having Botox injections?

Thank you for your question. Any muscle manipulation should be post poned for the rest of the day after Botox injection. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox and Exercise

Botox is a fabulous injection for facial muscles.  You can definitely continue with your facial exercises except for the day of the injections. Best, Dr. Green

FACIAL EXCERCISING

The reason why Botox works in preventing wrinkles is because it weakens or paralyzes muscles and keeps them from contracting and forming wrinkles. I don't quite understand how exercising facial muscles is going to help you. the stronger the facial muscles, the stronger the contractions and the deeper the wrinkles. We lose facial volume due to loss of deep structural fat, not facial muscle atrophy. Why would you be using your facial muscles less as you get older? smokers certainly exercise their orbicular is iris muscle quire frequently. Do they have nice youthful lips or deep wrinkles around the mouth? How about people who smile a lot, they are exercising their smile muscles. Do there have more wrinkles (smile lines) or less? You want to weaken or paralyze the muscles with botox but then exercise them to strengthen them???

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon