Had restylane on corners of mouth coming down toward chin line. There is a large bump inside; is this normal?

Had restylan on corners of mouth coming down toward chin line there have large bump inside is this normal for a few days looks like I had dental work

Lump after filler

this is not uncommon and usually the lump will smooth out over a short period of time. you can speed up the process by massaging the area between your thumb and forefinger

Nashville Dermatologist

Large bump inside

when the corners of the mouth are injected it is not uncommon to feel or see a bump inside. Sometimes it is created by the filler and other times it is from a bruise. Regardless of the cause the bumps tend to smooth out over a few weeks.  If not you can attempt your own massage by putting your thumb inside your mouth and placing your index finger on the outside and gently pressing them together to mold the filler.  If it continues to persist a small amount of hyalronidase will fix it. Hope this helps and best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lumpy Restylane?

Hi and thanks for this question. Restylane can become a little bumpy, but after a few days of massage it might improve. If you feel it's not improving then consider seeing your injector. The Restylane HA can be reversed with an injectable enzyme. Only a professional can tell you whether you will need this or not. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Filler and bump

The bump you feel may be fillers. Best to review with your surgeon to get recommendations. If it is filler often it can be massaged down to smooth it out.

Knowing What's Normal with Restylane

There can be swelling and/or lumps after filler injections and they can last 1-2 weeks. If you're unhappy with your final results, you can have it reversed with hyaluronidase and try a different technique next time. Best, Dr. Emer

Filler

it is very normal to get some bumps on the inside of your mouth after the corners of the mouth are filled. This is often a clumping of the filler, but it helps to support the corners. I usually tell my patients not to touch it, and it will improve over the next 2-4 weeks. I often will do a little massage before people leave my office to try and smooth it out, but I don't have people touch it since I want the filler to stay there to support the mouth. 

Roni Munk, MD
Montreal Dermatologic Surgeon