Pain and discharge from my belly button 3 months after my tummy tuck. Should I be worried?

I have a tummy tuck 3 months ago and I have problems with the healing from my belly button and few days ago I start swelling like I am 4 months pregnant even that I wear my compresion garment all day few days ago I start having some yellow discharge and smell bad ,now I just so swelling and hurts all where my scar is something that I really have to worry about.

Pain and discharge from belly button

I think a follow up with your plastic surgeon is essential in determining if this is something to be very concerned about. 

Thank you for your question and good luck!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Discharge post tummy

I would see your surgeon.It may be a retained suture that is working it's way out but it is always best to see your doctor and also monitor your temp.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Button pain and drainage three months after abdominoplasty/tummy tuck

Tired… if you have a new onset pain and drainage/Discharge from your bellybutton with associated swelling I'm Foul smell three months after surgery, I would be very concerned for infection. I recommend that you seek the advice of your plastic surgeon as soon as possible.

I wish you the best.

Dr. Gabbay

Joubin Gabbay, MD

late swelling after TT

with what you reported, you need to see your BCPS ASAP, he will probably put you on antibiotics and do a culture on the drainage. you should not delay in seeking expert advice on this situation.

Tummy tuck post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

At this point (3 months post-po) the swelling have to be minimal.
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.
If the after six months post-op, I recommend you send us your photos again, to give you more information about how we can solve this problem. 

Kind regards,
Dr. Emma Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Painful umbilicus

Hello and thanks for your question. I would advise you to see your plastic surgeon to be sure you are not dealing with anything serious. I am sure he or she will want to see you in person to evaluate the situation. Best of luck.

Sumanth Pagadala, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Best to see your surgeon ASAP to rule out a possible abscess or infection. Especially with this late onset.....

Pain and discharge from belly button.

Hi, AnaBS.  It is unusual to have sudden swelling and pain 3 months after tummy tuck.  Please contact your plastic surgeon ASAP to be evaluated.  Best regards.

3 months post op

Sudden swelling and a bad odour is concerning. You should be assessed by your Plastic Surgeon in person as soon as possible.

All the best

Pain and discharge from my belly button 3 months after my tummy tuck.

Thank you for your question. At 3 months the majority of your swelling should have subsided. The discharge should be assessed by your surgeon in order to obtain treatment. 

Hope this helps, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD