How can you tell if it's infected if it's covered with this adipose? Should I be on an antibiotic? (Photo)

TT on 8/29. Necrosis.Surgical debridement 9/22. Re-opened about 8 days later.Should I be getting maintenence debridement? Don't I need a clean wound bed to heal? Is it okay for the yellow slough to stay on this long? Dressing it with Dakins 2x a day. I dress it with Manuka Honey occasionally. How can you tell if it's infected if it's covered with this adipose? Is Santyl a better product to debride with than Dakins? Should I be on an antibiotic? I think my PS should be more aggressive with this.

Wound Care Concerns

Your wound bed appears healthy based on this photo- not infected. In person assessment is best however. I recommend that you continue to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon and without signs of infection, antibiotics shouldn't be necessary.

All the best

Wound after surgery

I am sorry to hear you are having problems healing after surgery. In the picture you posted it appears the wound is healing well at this point. It does not look infected, the wound edges are a little red which is normal because of the dressing changes. The yellow you are referring to is fibrin not puss, and it is part of the normal healing process. I would not recommend an antibiotic, the wound from a surgical stand point looks good. If you start to run a fever or the redness starts to extend out from the wound edges, call your surgeon immediately. Good luck with healing.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

How can you tell if its infected if its covered with adipose? Should I be on an antibiotic?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your wound issues after tummy tuck.  Your wound is starting to show areas of healing with the formation of granulation tissue (the dark red tissue seen in small patches along the base of your wound.  I do agree that you have some early scar tissue and fibrinous tissue that would benefit from additional surgical debridement in your physician's office to help speed healing.  Dakin's dressing changes is not uncommon and will allow your wound to heal and I would continue this course without any current need for antibiotics.  Best wishes to you and make sure you have close follow up with your surgeon to ensure an appropriate healing response as your body fills this area in from the inside-out.  Hope this helps.