I have an inverted nipple. Will the implants correct this or is it an additional procedure? (photos)

l'm looking to get a breast augmentation in the next few months. I've not gone get for a consultation.

It can be corrected

Sometimes placement of the implant alone will correct the inversion, and if not, a local procedure can be done at the time of augmentation to correct it.

Dothan Physician

Will depend

It's going to depend on what's causing the nipple inversion. When you have your consult, your surgeon should be able to give you an accurate response as to whether the implant alone will fix the issue. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

I have an inverted nipple. Will the implants correct this or is it an additional procedure?

Hi.. thank you for the question... and photo... Generally the augmentation correct this, if not it can be done ambulatory 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Odds are you will probably require an additional procedure.

Breast augmentation may give you a little more projection but the reality of the situation is that you may need an actual inverted nipple repair. I would not do the two at the same time so try the implants alone and if you need more projection proceed with the inverted nipple repair.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation and inverted nipples

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation and inverted nipples.

• If the nipples have inverted because you have lost breast volume, augmentation is likely to correct them.
  • If - as is often the case - the nipples are inverted because of tissue below which does not allow them to release - then direct correction of the inversion is needed.
  • The procedure can be done in the office or at the time of breast augmentation -
  • I prefer to do it separately, because there are bacteria in the nipple which can, in theory at least, spread to the implant, create a biofilm and a capsular contracture. 
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Nipples

Thank you for your question.  Inverted nipples are not often corrected by the breast augmentation alone.  It is important to know if this has been a life long condition or a new change.  If it has always been this way, then a small procedure at the time of the BA will correct this.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Based upon the one at distance posted photo appears as inverted nipple needing direct surgical correction, implants WILL NOT correct......

Inverted nipples

If you push the breast gland outward and the nipple protrudes as you would like, the augmentation alone will likely suffice.  Otherwise, a separate procedure can be performed to help the inverted nipple protrude more.

Hello rach10xr5,

Thank you for your question and photo.  In general, implants will not correct an inverted nipple unless the added pressure from the implants causes the breast tissue to push the nipple out.  Normally, inverted nipples have a deeper scar tethering that needs to be released.  In my opinion, I would perform a breast augmentation and see if the implants help your nipple.  If so then you have avoided any additional incisions and healing.  If not, then a small office procedure can correct any remaining asymmetry.  Good luck!

Hunter Moyer, MD

Unlikely

Youre inversion looks moderate to severe so it's unlikely to correct permanently with implants. You can have it corrected simuealtaneouly or seperately but either way it's additional to the augmentation. Best of luck.