Follow up Necrosis case? (Photo)

TT 8/29. Surgical debridement 9/22. Re-opened. Started using Dakins up until 10/17 Switched to Santyl. Top pic is 3 days with Santyl. Switched back to Dakins last night. Bottom pic is after last night with Dakins. Which should I use? Should I alternate? How long does it take for autolytic debridement? Thank you in advance.

Wound Care Assessment

Thank you for your question and photo. Unfortunately it isn't possible to accurately asses your wound and give you meaningful advice based on a photo. Your Plastic Surgeon must examine you in person and provide detailed wound care instructions.

All the best

Follow up necrosis?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your wound healing issues.  Each surgeon will have their own specific recommendations on wound care to help you heal secondarily, but never having been impressed with Santyl, I would recommend either normal saline or quarter strength Dakin's wet to moist dressing changes.  Best wishes. 

Tummy tuck skin necrosis - best approach for wound care?

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck healing.

• I am so sorry you have had such a complication.
  • Unfortunately wound care treatment cannot be done by an on-line consultant.
  • The full state of the wound can't be judged by a photo.
  • You need to be under the direct care of your surgeon or of a wound care center with a medical director.
  • A thorough examination of the tissue is required and frequently, to be sure the wound is progressing.
  • Decisions on what to do are based on the state of the wound.
  • Dakins for instance is excellent if there is infection - but will slow your healing if there is no infection.
  • Treatment has to be adjusted depending on the need of the wound.
  • So please see your surgeon or ask her/him to refer you to a wound clinic.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD