My drains were removed on day 3 and the left one is still bleeding, how do I make it stop?

I'm 5 days post breast reduction surgery.The left one will not closed, I've covered and bandaged, today after my shower I noticed the bruising has increased and area is more swollen.

Make sure it isn't a hematoma

If your drain site is still bleeding and there appears to be more bruising/swelling in that breast as well it's possible there is internal bleeding (hematoma), so you should have this checked out by your surgeon sooner rather than later.

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Changes in breasts

If you noticed an increase in size and more drainage, you might want to run this by your surgeon to make sure you are not accumulating fluid or blood.  Best of luck.

Drain Removal after Breast Reduction

Dear mjones141,

I would recommend returning to your operating surgeon and having them take a look at the area. It could be that your left side needed to have the drain in for a little longer than the right. The increase in swelling and bruising could be normal, or it could be a sign of a developing complication such as a hematoma. It is always better to have it checked just in case. Good luck!

Applying pressure on the wound helps stop bleeding

Based on your info, you are all right. You may apply a steady pressure at the wound your left breast, the bleeding will stop on it own.

However, if the swelling on your left breast substantially increases and much more different than your right one, your left breast may start bleeding again underneath the bandage. In this case, I would recommend you go to the surgeon for double checking.