Desperately seeking All-on-Four orthodontist who accepts Delta Care HMO! Will go anywhere in the US.

I've gotten 19 estimates (all over the US) over the past 16mos and they range from $6820 - $66780. Yes, I have ensured that they are doing the exact same procedure w/ SAME material. And although I found the actual ortho guy who invented the ALL ON 4 (his costs are very reasonable) but of course he doesn't about my insurance! That quote I got for $66k is 2 times (plus) the estimates I'd gotten for an entire mouth of individual implants. Wondering why the significant cost differences? :)
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

All on 4 procedures

It seems as if you have done your homework
The average cost of one jaw in the US is in the region of $25,000.00
Costs for the procedure vary dependent on

1. Experience of person doing it

2. Lab used

3. Implants used - Was developed by Nobel Biocare, i would highly recommend these implants are used

What i recommend you look for

1. Someone who does this day in and day out

2. You can speak to many patients who have had the procedure done

3. What type of warranty do you receive on the work that is completed.

4. Find a team that is well accomplished, teach the procedure to other dentists and can handle any type of complication should one arise.

As far as insurance is concerned, dental insurance is not insurance per se, they provide you with a dollar amount that is small in comparison to the cost of the actual procedure
I wish you all the best in your journey
Dr J

Do Your Research!

If you are considering Dental Implants, the ALL-ON-4® Treatment Concept, Teeth-in-a-day or permanent dentures there are some things you should know about the Dentist, Practice, or Surgeon performing the procedure.
Do your research before making a decision;
"The Proof is in the Patients"
  • Read the reviews!
  • Ask to see “real” before and after photos (not just a few).
  • Ask to talk with previous patients.
  • Ask to see patient testimonials.
  • Ask to see the Dentists credentials.
If patients have a great experience and the Dentist meets their expectations, they should be more than happy to do this for the Dentist.
How many times has the Dentist performed the procedure? Experience is paramount in any technique-sensitive operation. Is the Dentist performing every aspect of the procedure, from implant placement, to restoration? Often times you are referred to several Dentists around town, in the end who is responsible? Do they have a state-of-the-art laboratory on site? For any facility that performs this procedure regularly this is necessary! Does the office have a knowledgeable and professional staff?
When it comes to your oral health, your self-esteem, and your overall well-being we encourage you to investigate before you decide. When it comes to Dental Implants and Cosmetic Dentistry sometimes we get what we pay for, unlike buying paper-towels, or laundry detergent, where sometimes the “bargain brand” will do, making an investment in your-self should never be a sacrifice.

19 dental estimates and counting ... #DrSarahThompson

Hello there,
Sounds like you've done a lot of research, looking for the right doctor to do your all-on-four procedure, but haven't found anyone that takes your insurance.  I would recommend calling the number on the back of your dental insurance or medical insurance card and asking them if they cover the all-on-four implant procedure.  They are likely to say no, but this is something that you may want to try first.  Usually, medical insurance would only cover a denture, if anything at all in your mouth.  Dental insurance will likely not cover it at all because they will likely determine that it is a cosmetic procedure.  Often times auto insurance will cover something like this to a certain dollar limit if your face or teeth were knocked out or damaged in an automobile collision, which may not apply to your case.  Good luck and I hope this info helps you. Follow me if you have more questions.
Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO
RealSelf100

All on 4

First of all, I would not recommend that an orthodontist do your surgery. They are not even trained and surgery. The second thing that you need to realize is that the term "dental insurance" is an oxymoron. The actual definition of dental insurance, in layman's terms, is "limited annual dental coverage." Dental insurance does not work like major medical insurance. Based on your insurance plan, the annual coverage can be anywhere from $1500-$4000. That is it. In addition, most dental insurances do not cover dental implants. What you have to understand is that the insurance company will only cover you to have conventional dentures. That satisfies their obligation to give you teeth.

The "all-on-4" which is a catch-all phrase, is definitely not covered by ANY dental insurance companies. There are many things that factor into prices. Region of the country, overhead of the practice, and other issues are the reasons why you are seeing a variation in price. You are spending a large amount of money to travel to 19 different doctors, all over the country, to try to get a doctor to do something for insurance assignment, that is not covered by insurance. The "all-on-4" procedure comes with a high degree of technical difficulty and risk on the doctors' side. This is not a cheap procedure from the doctor's standpoint both in time, overhead costs, etc. Frankly, you will not get a Saks 5th Avenue treatment for a Kmart price. If you go back and add up all the money that you have spent to travel all over the US for estimates, trying to get a Kmart price, the total could have offset some of your treatment costs. 

Finally, not all patients are candidates for only 4 implants. Many patients require more, up to 8, implants. This also increases the cost of the procedure. $66,000 is Probably an estimate for individual crowns and individual implants (24 of each). This is probably an accurate estimate. The "all-on-4" restoration is a denture fixed to implants. Our fee is $26,000 per jaw, plus anesthesia costs if you desire to go to sleep

Dr. David Mueller, DDS, FABOMS

David P. Mueller, DDS
Virginia Beach Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

All-on-4 treatment and cost

A couple of points to help you in the right direction:

1. Delta HMO is unlikely to cover dental implants or the restoration. You may want to check with them first as their benefits are very limited and typically cover basic care (not elective procedures such as implants and complete implant-supported prosthesis)
2. We provide this treatment including the surgery and treatment at $25000 (we are located in Washington DC area)
3. An orthodontist is not the right type of specialist for implants- The treatment should be a coordinated effort between an oral surgeon and a restorative dentists.
4. Dr. Milo from Portugal was one of the first clinicians who introduced the all-on-4 phenomenon and adopted early on by several other clinicians before gaining more popularity.
5. While all-on-4 is a good option, it may not be for everyone. Depending on your bite, forces of chewing, teeth size requirements, and overall design, an all-on-5 or all-on-6 may be more appropriate. All-on-4 in someone with increased forces of chewing and function can be more risky.

I hope this is helpful

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon