Breast Reduction or Tummy Tuck? Which should I do first? (Photo)

Hi there! I am healthy, 49, 5'4" and 175 lbs. I was looking at having a mommy makeover since I really want both but the cost is just too high. I wear a 38DDD bra and my breasts are large and sagging. I have tried to go the insurance route but I do not meet the criteria. I have only one child, he's 26 now, and with that pregnancy I gained about 75 lbs. My tummy has never been flat again. I can only afford to do one at a time. Are there any pros and cons to which surgery I have first? Thank you!

Achieve greater breast elevation by doing the breast first

I always do the breast reduction first and I recommend a new technique called The Ultimate Breast ReductionTM.Your breast tissue is reshaped creating upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the traditional technique, maintains nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed.I prefer to do the breasts first because a tummy tuck pulls down the skin of the chest wall limiting the lift.I achieve greater breast elevation doing the breasts first.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy or breast

To me this is easy.Whichever one bothers you the most is the one you should do first.Life is a system of priorites and that is what I would do in this case.both are outpatient procedures and the recovery is similar.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breasts or Tummy

There is right or wrong answer.  You will have to decide which area concerns you the most and start there first.  

Earl Stephenson, Jr, MD, DDS, FACS

Breast lift with a small reduction and tummy tuck is a great combination, a Mommy Make Over

Deciding to have a breast lift with a small reduction is a good decission. A tummy tuck with liposuction of your hips and abdomen is also a good decission for you. Combining the two has tremendous benifits to you. The combination is less costly than the two added up separately, the combinded surgeries with only one general anesthetic is safer for you and you have only one recovery time as opossed to two. While you might not have the financial ability to pay for both right now, I would encourage you to put off both until you can safe enought to have them done together. During that time you could exercise and loose weight and maximise your health status. If there is no way you can figure a way to get them both done at the same time it makes no differience which you do first. The choice is yours and you should have the procedure which would make you happiest. Most of my patients feel that the tummy tuck is more important because you can always put you breast in a bra or bathing suit top. But remember the choice is yours. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Tummy tuck or breast reduction

Choosing a tummy tuck or a breast reduction is really up to you. Either one is reasonable to do first.  Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Breast Reduction or Tummy Tuck? Which should I do first?

I hope you understand combination surgery is less expensive than separating the two operations. But which to chose is your personal opinion.