What's the different between a Brazilian butt lift and a Butt Augmentation?

What's the different between a Brazilian butt lift and a Butt Augmentation? Also does transferring the fat to the butt increase the size of a person's butt?

Brazilian Butt Lift vs Implants

The popular Brazilian Butt Lift is a butt augmentation procedure that uses ones own fat transferred to the buttocks from liposuction to an area such as the abdomen or flanks depending upon anatomy. The alternative to the Brazilian Butt Lift is augmentation with gluteal silicone implants.

Difference between Brazilian Butt Lift and Butt Augmentation

The term Buttock Augmentation is more general, including buttock lift, fat transfer, and buttock implants. A Brazillian Butt Lift, or BBL, is the term commonly used when referring to fat transfer into the buttocks. A person’s own fat is taken from other areas in the body (typically the abdomen, flanks, backs, and/or thighs) and injected back into the buttocks for a fuller, rounder, more even look.  This does increase the size of a person’s buttocks.

Audrey Klenke, MD
Hilton Head Island Plastic Surgeon

A "BBL" Brazilian butt lift harvest fat from areas ( Liposuction ) with the fat removed from the areas using your own fat it transfer to the buttocks and into the hips.The common donor sites for this procedure is your posterior waist/flanks, lateral thighs, back, waist, and anterior tummy.I will tell you with 25 years experience that implants will not give you a natural look and are up to 60% rejected from the body. Your own fat will be not rejected and give you that natural look and you will not loose the fat after your 6 months procedure.Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Brazilian Butt Lifts and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.Thank you for your question .

Buttock augmentation options

In short, a combination of sculpting the waistline with liposuction and augmenting the buttock with implants provides the best chance for a long lasting "hour-glass" figure. Please read on for more surgical details:  Regarding buttock/hip augmentation surgery, let me start off by saying that I currently see at least 2 - 3 patients, domestic and international,  per week that failed "brazilian buttock lift" (i.e. the fat melted away after 10 - 12+ months) and are now seeking a more reliable and permanent option (i.e. buttock and/or hip implants). 
Allow me to share with you some information that you may not hear elsewhere. There are only two proven safe and relatively effective methods for Buttock Augmentation and Hip Augmentation: 1) Autologous Fat Transfer (using your own fat, transferring from one area of the body to the other) and 2) Buttock/Hip Implants (semi-solid silicone rubber implants that cannot rupture &/or leak). Both are options but what it comes down to, like any surgery, is proper patient selection and long-term results. 
Indeed because at least 80+ % of the fat transferred will melt away within a year, most patients are not good candidates because they lack an adequate amount of fat to harvest. Another tip is that if you purposely gain weight (i.e. fat) for the procedure, the fat you lose first as you get back to your baseline weight is that very same fat that was transferred into your buttock...so don't fall victim to this recommendation. Even those patients that had adequate amounts of fat pre-operatively, still end up seeking buttock implants after a year or so because most of the fat transferred melted away leaving them with minimal result.  Although overall using your own fat is relatively safe, it not infrequently melts away unevenly leaving one butt cheek bigger than the other or with dimpling or hard fat cysts.  The one serious complication that can rarely (< 1%) happen is "fat embolism" in which some of the fat gets into the blood stream and travels up into the lungs, heart, and/or brain causing serious problems. This complication is more likely to happen with the larger amount of fat being transferred. This is even more likely to happen when using fillers like liquid silicone, PMMA, Sculptra, and hyaluronic acids. Also fillers, when injected in large quantities, have a relatively high infection rate, guaranteed tendency to migrate away from the original area they were injected, and almost always stimulate a lot of inflammation with a subsequent and disastrous amount of scar tissue/hardening.
Thus buttock/hip implants become a very good, safe, and long term reliable option for most patients seeking buttock/hip augmentation (at least in my practice). I prefer to insert the buttock implants through a 1 1/2 inch long incision along the inner curve of each upper buttock cheek at the level of the tailbone, similar to two opposing parentheses ")(" (concealed within the crevice between the buttock cheeks) and the hip implants through a ~ 1 inch incision just below the beltline above the hip region. The buttock implant should always be placed under or within the gluteus maximus muscle. In this position, the implant is less palpable, less visible, and does not sag or shift/migrate over time unlike implants placed on top of the muscle. On the other hand, hip implants are placed under just the fascia because no significant muscle exists in this region. However, because they are much smaller and lighter, their likelihood of migration is relatively low. Because all of this, it is extremely important to seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this procedure so that the implant placement is precise for both locations. And in this case too, at least in my surgical practice, the infection rate is minimized to

Ryan Stanton, MD

BBL us Butt Augmentation.

A butt augmentation is any surgical procedure that enlarges a patients buttock. The most common way by far is the fat transfer to the buttock or the so called Brazilian butt lift. Another less common method to enlarge the buttock is to place silicone implants. And yes, transferring fat to the buttock makes it larger, also usually fuller and rounder. Hope this helps.

Great question--a Brazilian Butt Lift (or BBL) is a type of gluteal augmentation that involves only using the person's own fat to increase the size of the buttocks (as opposed to using silicone gluteal implants). It is classically performed by removing fat from unwanted areas (such as the tummy, flanks, or thighs) using small liposuction cannulas, isolating pure fat cells through specific techniques, and reinjecting the fat cells into the muscle and fat of the buttocks.  And yes, in many cases the size of the buttocks will increase, although I occasionally will do smaller volume fat transfers to do more balancing and shaping without necessarily making a huge difference in volume. It really depends on your goals and the availability of donor fat.  Please make sure to consult with board-certified plastic surgeons when considering surgery and for best recommendations. Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

The different between a Brazilian butt lift and a Butt Augmentation?

The difference between a Brazilian Butt Lift and a Butt Augmentation is that the Brazilian Butt Lift (BBL) is when the fat from your stomach, back , and flanks is taken out and being transfer to the butt giving it volume and a perfect shape, A Butt Augmentation is when an implant is placed.

Difference between a Brazilian butt lift and a Butt Augmentation

That’s a great question! The demand and popularity for buttock enhancement procedures in my practice is through the roof!  It’s allowed me to perfect my technique over the years so that I produce safe, reliable and long-lasting results that will age well with my patients whether it’s using fat only, gummy bear butt implants only, or both.  In the end, it’s important to choose whatever means necessary to achieve your desired goals for size, but more importantly shape! My patients generally seek to have a perky or curvaceous butt that is shapely, whether they are full-figured and voluptuous or shredded fitness types, and everything in the middle.  If you were gifted with a flat or shapeless butt or acquired it over the years, consider a consultation with a plastic surgeon who does all 3 major types of enhancements to understand all your options. It’s important to understand that the terms relating to buttock enhancement are not as important as what your specifically tailored plan entails. Often the words Buttock Augmentation, Butt Lift, Brazilian Butt Lift, Buttock Fat Grafting, Buttock Reshaping and so on are used interchangeably.  Get a consultation so that you can best understand what will help you achieve a sexier you.

Brazilian butt lift

A brazilian butt lift is one form of buttock augmentation.  Implants are another form of buttock augmentation.