What would you recommend Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? I'm 48 yrs old. (photos)

Can fat be remove with lipo or will the skin just hang after ? Typical recovery time for a tummy tuck for someone very fit to recover ...I would like to have procedure at year end but I've been reading to get close to goal. I'm 175 now..would like to weigh 155 but maybe 10 more pounds of loss is more practical for me!I'm happy with body just my stomach. I am five five in height.

Tummy tuck and lipo

Hi and thank you for your question.  Based on your pics, you would do well with a tummy tuck and liposuction as you already having loose hanging skin.  If you only did lipo, the sagging skin will get worse.  Please see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck vs. Liposuction

From your photos, you are an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck.  You have extra loose skin of the tummy that is worsened by bending over.  Liposuction will remove fat, but will only make the excess skin appearance worse.  The tummy tuck would remove all of that extra skin and tighten the abdominal muscles.  It appears that you may benefit from liposuction of the flanks and low back to circumferentially contour your waist.  The trade off of the tummy tuck is a better contour, no loose skin for a scar that would be low and hidden in your underwear line or bikini bottom line.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction or tummy tuck

Based on your pictures, you definitely would get the best result from a tummy tuck. The amount of loose and overhanging skin that you have on the lower abdomen will not contract to make a significant difference after liposuction alone. Liposuction of the flanks will further improve the results when done in conjunction with the abdominoplasty.  Lastly, if you are effectively losing weight, I recommend that you continue to do so until you reach your target weight prior to having the surgery.

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Lipo or tummy

Looking at your photos I would do both.you have loose skin and the onmly way to get rid of this is through a tummy tuck.Liposuction merely debulks or removes excess fatty tissue.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Lipo

Hi. thank you for your question.  First, I would recommend that you continue to lose all of the weight you need to lose prior to your surgery.  You will have the best results by doing so.  Secondly, because you present with some loose skin on your abdomen, you will benefit from a tummy tuck with liposuction of the abdomen and flanks to give you a nice hour-glass shape.  Please select a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in liposuction and tummy tucks!  Best of Luck!

Want to improve tummy

Your photos suggest that your best result will be from a tummy tuck with liposuction.
Ideally be at your final weight before you have surgery. 

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction

Thank you for your question and pictures!  Congratulations on the weight loss.  Keep it up until you get to your goal.  You are best suited for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  Liposuction alone will only leave you with more loose skin. 

Brian Joseph, MD

TT + lipo

Thanks for sharing your pictures. Denfinetely a abdominoplasty or tummy tuck will help you get rid of the extra skin that you have, liposuction to the lose skin will not help at all. The tummy tuck will also repair the abdominal wall muscles, which will flatten your abdomen, and would help you achieve a better result. Our trademark "hourglass shape body" could be achieved with liposuction to abdomen, waist, flanks and lower back plus some fat grafting to your buttock. Good luck in your plastic Surgery Journey!

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

What would you recommend Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? I'm 48 yrs old.

Tummy tuck with liposuction of the sides and back would produce a nice result. Find a tummy tuck expert who performs hundreds each year and has great reviews and great before and after pictures.

Tummy Tuck best choice

Thank you for the pictures. It appears you have excess skin and fat. This is best treated with a tummy tuck. Liposuction only leave you with thinner loose hanging skin.