What can I do to resolve indentation on my right nipple after gynecomastia surgery? (Photo)

Im 10 weeks post op and i still have hardness under my nipples and flex i flex my pec i have depression on the right nipple, please help me what can i do, i was operated by a general surgeon and he did told me he left a little bit of gland tissue to prevent depression

Nipple Indentation After Gynecomastia Surgery

Hi jilb9,

Thank you for your post. At 10 weeks you are still healing but there are two things that I see in the photo of your right side that may need to be addressed:

1. There is fullness just to the outer part of the areola

2. There is concavity, or indentation, just below the areola.

The fullness may be persistent swelling, scar tissue, or residual breast tissue. If it feels firm, it is scar tissue or residual breast tissue. The indentation can be either the skin tethering down to the deeper tissues, or it can be from over resection in that area. I would express your concerns with your surgeon, but also do not hesitate to seek a second opinion with a board- certified plastic surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. 

Hope that helps,

Dr. Dadvand

Indentation Concern Following Gynocomastia Surgery

It's still early in your recovery from gynecomastia surgery. As you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. 

In the future, if you are still experiencing your crater concern, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.  They may possibly be able to address the issue with fat grafting or cosmetic fillers if you are a good fit.

What can I do to resolve indentation on my right nipple after gynecomastia surgery?

Hi there,
10 weeks is still a little too early to worry about results.
if he had left behind a little gland behind to maintain shape it might infact prolong the time the swelling takes to resolve.
wait for 4-6 months and then see if you need a revision.

Early surgical outcomes

While we as plastic surgeons feel we may be more appropriate surgeons to do this procedure, general surgeons do lots of breast surgery and are trained in many, many different procedures.

You are still too early from your procedure to judge your final results.

When you're three to six months out from your surgery, you can judge your final results to see where you are.

Revision surgery happens in 5% to 10% of cases.

Continue your follow-up with your surgeon and be patient for now.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Soon to tell

If the identation does not go you'll have to undergo revision to re-distribute the gland and make a more homogeneous work inside, I notice irregularities.

Alejandro Nogueira, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Its still early to judge, and I would suggest talking to your surgeon who will know more about what procedure you had than anyone online, however it appears as though you may have had some overresection of the tissue or are beginning to get an adherent scar. It would require a physical exam to be sure, but I would personally suggest fat grafting for the former and scar massage and possible fat grafting down the road for the latter. Best of luck.

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Gynecomastia

Thank you for the photos though a full examination is really needed.  That said you are still early postop to judge final results but if there is no change get some second opinions from experts

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD