Voluma or Sculptra for Facial Contouring? (Photo)

I have age-related facial volume loss and some lines. I am less concerned about removing every single line, though, and more concerned with good contours. I have read a lot about Sculptra and seen some great results. I like that is builds collagen. But a friend who is a skin expert said Voluma was the thing to get. Which do you suggest, and why?

Voluma and Sculptra

Thank you for your question. I generally find the best results are when I start combining multiple different types of injectable fillers. I use Sculptra  for developing a global volumizing plan. I use the Voluma and Restylane lyft to provide more shape and support to the midface and lift some of the lower structures to a higher position, I'll use Restylane, Juvederm and Restylane Silk to further soften the shadows around the mouth and under the eyes.

Volume very important for your midface (cheeks)

Dear Cisqale,

Your pictures (limited) seem to show that you have volume loss in your cheeks (submalar), some in malar (higher cheek bone region), and temples. I would suggest that you consider both sculptra and voluma for the best result. Sculptra can be used deeper into your tissue to set the base if you will. I would recommend this in your temple and malar region (two or three treatments). Once this is done, I would augment it with voluma. Many patients and physicians make the mistake of using too much volume in wrong places.  Start slow and gradually add.  Good luck.

Kyle S. Choe, MD
Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma vs Sculptra for Volume Loss and Facial Contouring

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos.  Both Voluma and Sculptra are excellent choices for facial contouring and for correcting volume loss.  #Voluma is a hyaluronic acid compound that provides an immediate and long lasting lift of the skin. When placed properly, the effects last for several years.  #Sculptra is poly l-lactic acid which stimulates your fibroblasts to produce Type I collagen.  Most patients need three to four treatments spaced 4 to 6 weeks apart to provide long term facial contouring and volume correction.  With Sculptra, patients note improvement of skin texture and quality (which makes sense since new collagen is being produced).  

In my practice, I use a multitude of products to achieve a patient's desired result.  Please consult with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon is is highly experienced in injectables. 

Suneel Chilukuri, M.D.
Houston, TX

Suneel Chilukuri, MD
Bellaire Dermatologic Surgeon

Should I use Voluma or Sculptra

Hi Cisqale, both Voluma and Sculptra are good options for volumizing the face. I frequently use both together. Voluma will provide a good foundation with immediate results while Sculptra will add to the foundation over time. Most people require two or three treatment with Sculptra to get the results they are looking for. Follow up with an experienced injector who can provide you with options.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma Versus Sculptra

I am often using both products, sculptra as the long term foundation and voluma or radiesse for immediate revolumization and structure.  I suggest seeing a facial contouring expert who can help you build your structure over time.  Best, Dr. emer.

Voluma and Sculptra

You can safely use both products to achieve your treatment goals.  The products work differently and so it is common to combine different methods to get to a certain result.  Think of doing your hair as an analogy.  You may use specialized shampoo, conditioner, mousse, and hairspray to get the look you want.  In the same reference, you can use multiple products to achieve your treatment goals.  I recommend you have a consultation with your injector to find out what she feels would work best for you.

Camille Cash, MD

Voluma or Sculptra

Voluma and Sculptra are both good products for restoring volume and contour to the face. Sculptra works more gradually over time, building collagen for subtle volume restoration and skin plumping. Voluma will provide more immediate results, and lasts for a long time as well. On occasion, Sculptra and Voluma can be used together for more comprehensive results. I would recommend visiting a board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in both products who can assess your situation in person and recommend the best treatment course.

Sabrina Fabi, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma or Sculptra for Facial Contouring?

Thank you for your photographs and questions.  I tend to use a combination of hyaluronic acid dermal fillers (i.e. Voluma and Juvederm) for nonsurgical facial rejuvenation and re-contouring.  I prefer their immediate effects with a single administration, as well as their ability to be dissolved if needed.  Hope that this helps.

Facial contouring with Voluma

Personally, I never use or recommend Sculptra. I have dealt with many patients with issues from it even 2-3 years after the injections so I just personally have a bias against the product. Other people find great success with it though. Thus, in short, I would tell you that Voluma would be my choice.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

Having used both I can say I absolutely adore Voluma. Its much easier to work with making it much easier for the surgeon to finesse the application. I also like to combine the Voluma with Juvederm at the same treatment session to take care of the entire face. You'll absolutely LOVE Voluma!

Terry E. Restivo, DO
Napa Physician