Can't pick a size or shape (Photo)

Im a mom of 4 breast-fed babies .. We are done reproducing.. Lol I'm 32 and I'm considering a 750 cc gummy bear implant i'm stumped on what size or shape would be best for my body size im 5'6 155pounds I was told yesterday that a consult 800 would be perfect I have a doctor told me 700 now I'm attempting the rice test and I have 4 cups in each stocking and I'm still stumped please help

Right implant

Thank you for the question and you are on the right track.  Only you know what volume you would be happy with, your surgeon can then help you pick the best shape for you given your measurements.  Ultimately your choice of surgeon will be most important to obtaining the best final result.

Dr Corbin

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.   The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Can't pick a size or shape of breast implant

Thank you for the question.  Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "best for my body" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to larger breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Size and shape of breast implants.

I think an in-office sizing is most useful for determining implant size.  I size patients myself because as the surgeon, I have an understanding that what the patient wants may not be in the patient's best long term interest.  In my practice, a 700 or 800 cc implant is really, really large.  I cannot remember the last time I used implants that big for aesthetic augmentation.  But ...... maybe that's what "fits" your chest.

Another very helpful thing a patient can do is to find before and after photos of a patient with a similar build and age and size and results they like and don't like.  Most photos mention the volume of implant.  I find looking at these photos with patients really improve communication.  I'm sure you can fine lots of such photos on Realself!

Lisa Lynn Sowder, MD

4 cups of rice used in sizing

makes that over 800 cc's... and if you really want that look,  you're going to really have to have a heart to heart with your surgeon using saline implants filled to beyond 900 cc's.  Think about what size you would like to be when undressed and what weight you are willing to carry about and what risks you are willing to accept and if all are green lights, then tell your surgeon what volume you want and let him/her choose the profile/shape that would fit on your chest.  Don't be surprised that you may not get your volume as the dimensions of the implant do matter.  Talk to your surgeon and choose something that you both can live with as many surgeons will not implant >800 cc's.

Curtis Wong, MD

Can't pick a size or shape.

In general a patient, with the help of her surgeon, will usually be the best one to determine what size and shape implant is most appropriate for them.  A 750 to 800 cc implant is a large implant, but if your frame is large enough, this size may be reasonable.  I have found that the best way for a patient to determine which implant will be best suited for them is to try on the implant in a bra.  Not only, will this help you see what things will look like, but also, you will be able to know how heavy the implants will feel.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant selection

Hello, it sounds like you have already taken the important step of seeking in-person consultations to help select your implants.  Any advice you receive during a real consult will be more helpful than that which can be provided based on a photo alone.  In general 700-750cc implants will result in a large difference in breast size but presumably this is what you are seeking.

Implant Sizing

Thank you so much for reaching out and posting photos. An in office consultation would be best, your surgeon can get measurements and suggest an appropriate size and you can also do sizing with different implants in office and get an idea of what size you would be happiest with! Best of luck! Dr. Kachenmeister

Robert M. Kachenmeister, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon