New lump after augmentation. Any suggestions?

I am 3.5 months post-op breast aug with silicone unders. I'm a fit/athletic lady with dense breast tissue. I had a mammogram 3 weeks prior to surgery and all came out fine. I suddenly have noticed a small, hard lump at the upper side of my left breast a few inches from the crease of my armpit. It feels firm and maybe the size of an olive pit. Can fat necrosis occur after implants only, or only implants with lift? I'm 42, and my pec muscles were tight and strong as I work out a lot.

Breast Lump

Thank you for your question. You could see your primary care physician or Plastic Surgeon to set up an MRI. Breast lumps are often not worrisome but should always be investigated.
All the best

Lump after surgery

Any breast lumps should be evaluated with MRI to rule out atypia or malignancy regardless of surgery chosen. Please see examples of breast augmentation below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

New lump after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.Any new lump or mass should be evaluated promptly.  Nobody wants to cause unnecessary worry but although it could be nothing but it could also indicate something more serious.  My suggestion is to start with your plastic surgeon and be seen.  If there is any difficulty seeing your plastic surgeon see your primary care, ob/gyn, or whoever is monitoring you with clinical breast exams. Best Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

New lump.

Thanks for sharing your concern. The new lump may be completely independent of your newer breast implants and needs to be worked up from a medical point of view. It's good news that you're mammogram was negative before surgery, but that screening tool is not perfect and a more sophisticated approach may be needed to address your new lump. Please contact your doctors ASAP and present yourself for evaluation. Good luck! Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Lump in breast

Any lumps found in the breast need to be explored.  I suggest scheduling an appointment with your primary care physician or your surgeon.  It may be nothing to worry about, but it's always better to be safe.

Camille Cash, MD