Help for itching and pain after labiaplasty?

Itching and general pain is constant and I can't sleep at night.. I'm worried because I have a history of messing with things in my sleep as well. I'm three weeks post operation and I've used gauze to separate the minora and the majora because hair growth increases the problem. I can't take benadryl and I'm going crazy... what should I do?

Post-Op Healing from Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months. Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of bruising and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help. Direct massage may be useful as well. In regards to the itching you feel it is a good idea to visit your surgeon to have the area evaluated for proper healing. Best of luck!

Discomfort after labiaplasty

Itching and increased in sensitivity are quite common after labiaplasty. However,it'd be best for your surgeon to examine you just to make sure it's not an infection/ skin allergy.  You may try ice pack/ warm compress (your preference), another form of anti-histamine that you may tolerate better, sleeping aid etc.  The good news is the discomfort will improve with time.  Good luck!
Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

At 3 weeks post-op, itching is commong but pain is not

and this would require that you see your surgeon for an exam and evaluation of your healing.  There are other antihistamines that you can take besides Benadryl and you can get them without prescriptions.  As for pain, characteristics of your pain should be obtained by your surgeon when you are examined and together, a diagnosis can probably be made.  Now if you're a picker when sleeping, you may want to put socks on your hands so your fingers can't do any damage.

Curtis Wong, MD

Post-op itching & pain-- was the surgery done right? Why hasn't your own surgeon helped??

Contact your surgeon (you know, the one you paid for the surgery! )  Surgical fees cover not only surgery, but advice/care/information after surgery. I'm sure she or he will tell you about the use of hydroxizine for post-op itching and sleep (a wonderful medication I offer to my post-op patients... At 3 weeks post-op IF the surgery was performed properly, you should have no pain whatsoever! Ther should be no reason to use gauze (egad!) and that may increase the irritation.
Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Thank you for your question. My first recommendation is to follow up with your surgeon. We want to make sure that there is no underlying infection that needs to be addressed. Second, I like to use hydroxyzine for itching with my patients. This may be something you want to consider and discuss with your surgeon

Post surgery itching

Hello. Thank you for your question. Many patients are faced with itching as their wounds heal. That itching is in fact a good sign of healing and it is due to the wound releasing histamine. I recommend Claritin to my patients and they've reported great relief. Almost none of my patients have any pain at the 3 week post op mark so please contact your surgeon regarding pain. Best wishes~Dr Poucher

Intractable itching after labiaplasty is not normal

You may have more than postoperative itching going on. See your surgeon to make sure there is no infection. It might be a vaginal infection that flared up.

Itching and pain 3 weeks post labiaplasty

Experiencing these symptoms to the point of not sleeping well 3 weeks out from Labiaplasty is not normal. You should be evaluated by your surgeon.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Help for itching and pain after labiaplasty.

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your itching and general pain. I would discuss with your surgeon the ability to apply an ointment to your incision sites to help with the itching that can take place during recovery, cold compresses for the pain and discomfort, and a prescription for vesteril if these more conservative options fail.  Hope this helps.