Terrified of needing a revision. What can I do to help promote healing?

I am getting a full anchor lift along with 304cc silicone implants. I'm freaking myself out with the possibility of something going wrong and needing a revision. I simply cannot afford another surgery! I know there is a risk of doing them together but I am hoping I can be one of the lucky few.. Is There Anything I can do to help heal better? Anything I can do prep-wise now?

Thank you for your question. An augmentation mastopexy has its own risks, just like any other surgical procedure. If you are concerned, I would recommend speaking to your plastic surgeon for more information and tips to help your recovery. Every surgeon has their own protocols. 

Breast Augmentation/ Mastopexy (lift): Information

Dear Ms. Tiffmamma,

Thank you for your your questions.

Whats most important is the experience and reputation of your chosen Plastic Surgeon.
Analogy: "It's not the club it's the golfer"
All Plastic Surgeons on occasion will need to a minor revision.

Frankly and honestly if you can't accept the fact you may need a revision.... You should not have surgery.

Unfortunately without photos or abel to examine  you I can only provide general information, however I hope you find the following helpful.

My responses:
1) yes, both procedures can be done together
2) if you just do a Lift: it will reduce and lift the size of the nipple areolar complex (NEC) and shape the breast by skin reduction.
3) a lift alone, often, will not give the upper pole fulness you desire.
3) the reason to add a small argumentation is for upper pole fullness and roundness
that can rarely be achieved by Mastopexy alone.
Please make a appt. with Plastic Surgeon, who has experience in performing both Aug./Mastopexy at the same operative event and who is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

Complication Risk of Augmentation Mastopexy

It is better to have planned properly and rest assured than to not done your homework and just hope for the best. Augmentation mastopexy has the highest risk of complications, more than either mastopexy or augmentation alone. 

If this has to be a one shot deal, then you should make sure your surgeon is an expert at this procedure, has a great reputation for the procedure, and has lots of photos. Certification by the ABPS and membership with the ASAPS are both important criteria too.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Surgery has risks

Hello and thank you for your question.  All surgery has risks.  What you can do to optimize your outcome is to a) make sure any medical conditions that you have are optimized, b) ensure that you do not use ANY nicotine products before surgery for at least 8 weeks and none for the rest of your life, c) go to a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in cosmetic breast surgery.  If you do not have a good feeling about the surgeon whom you have chosen, you should consider obtaining a second opinion.

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Honestly, some patients heal better than others.  I would try to find a surgeon who has performed hundreds of these augmentation lift combinations with great success.

Beverly Hills, CA

Anxiety before Surgery

Hello, and thank you for your question.

It is totally normal to have these fear before surgery.  It is good that you are taking this process so seriously.  Perhaps re-visiting your surgeon to go over any hesitation you make have will make you feel better.

As for your diet.  Eat healthy, drink lots of water, do not smoke and get good rest.  I usually advise aginst doing a lift and breast augmentation together, so listen very closeley to all of your doctor's instructions post surgically to help you have the best outcome possible.

Dr. Obeng
Beverly Hills, CA
Instagram: @DrMichaelKObeng

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Pre-op concerns

Discuss your concerns with your physician prior to surgery. It is important you both agree on the safest plan given your priorities. The best thing you can do is to communicate with your plastic surgeon and to understand and follow his or her post-operative instructions which will be tailored to their technique. Maintaining good communication and a positive attitude will help you throughout your post-operative period. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Follow your Post Operative Instructions

It's normal to be nervous before surgery. Use that nervous energy to be vigilant in taking care of yourself after your procedure. Taking care of yourself will speed recovery and maintain great results.

One of the best things you can do to prevent revision surgeries is to follow ALL the post-operative instructions given to you by your surgeon. When doing a full lift with implants one of the things surgeons worry about most is an opening of the incisions at what we call the T junctions--at the base of the breast and the base of the nipple. Most of the time even when these wounds separate a little they will heal in nicely with proper care. But you can help the healing process by not returning to your normal activities too quickly, not lifting heavy objects too soon, not doing too much before your body has healed. Take time before surgery to get your schedule cleared of obligations might ask you to do more than you are ready to do. Prepare meals a head of time so you can get great nutrition while you are healing. Wear your post-operative garments as prescribed by your surgeon.

If you have concerns during the healing process ask your surgeon and office staff. They should be glad to help you along. 

J. Dayne Petersen, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Anxiety before surgery is normal and common.  To alleviate some of this, discuss all of your concerns with your surgeon and go over all the preoperative and postoperative instructions and details.  This will give you better control of the process.  Finally, maintain good communication with your surgeon, especially after the surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Augmentation with breast lift

Thank you for your questions. It is normal to feel anxious and stressed before surgery. You can always make another visit with your surgeon to address any concerns and have any questions answered prior to your surgery. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

As for healing. Talk with your surgeon. We recommend good protein intake, scar massage starting 2 weeks after surgery, and scar cream as well. 

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)