Which is more benefical for results in darker skin tones for acne scars matrix or fraxel? (photos)

I have two consultation appointments next month one for ematrix and the other for fraxel. I just want a heads up before hand what's best recommended for medium to darker skin tones that will show the best results for pitted scars.

Depends on your scar age and scar type -eMatrix vs Fraxel

For early scars I prefer eMatrix, for older scars ( more than 3 months old)  I prefer Fraxel. I will also ask you to consider seeing someone who has Infini RF and Picosure Focus - all 4 devices can be safely used to treat acne scars in darker skin types. I use all 4 devices based upon the age of your scars, the acne scar type, and the down time allowed (Picosure Focus = lowest downtime). All the best, video explain the procedure in detail and the pros and limitations of eMatrix. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist

Thank you for your question. Sounds like you have picked two excellent choices for your potential treatments. We have had good results with both Fraxel and eMatrix for pitted acne scars. However, with darker skin types that tend to hyperpigment with injury/inflammation, eMatrix is a better choice. Because eMatrix is a radiofrequency, rather than a true laser treatment, it carries little risk of darkening the skin.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Best Resurfacing for Acne Scars In Darker Skin Types

While both Fraxel and eMatrix have the potential to improve acne scarring, eMatrix is often a better choice for darker skin types. Fraxel utilizes laser energy, which can stimulate melanin and cause hyperpigmentation; the radiofrequency energy eMatrix utilizes does not pose this risk.

With that being said, Fraxel can be performed on darker skin types, however to minimize the chance of hyperpigmentation, the energy used will have to be significantly lowered. Because of this, you will likely need more sessions than someone of fairer complexion. With eMatrix, the practitioner is able to go as aggressive as possible, allowing for the most significant results, without risk of hyperpigmentation. Both Fraxel and eMatrix will require a series of treatments.

For the most dramatic results, it may also be beneficial to look into adding PRP to your resurfacing treatments, or injecting Bellafill after your series of sessions is completed. Be sure to consult with a board certified Dermatologist for any procedures regarding the skin. Best of luck!  

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

EMatrix better for Darker Skin and Acne Scars

I use both Fraxel and eMatrix for acne scars with excellent results.  However, if you have darker skin then I would suggest the eMatrix laser to avoid the possibility of hyperpigmentation.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green