I had one and a half vials of Voluma in upper cheek two weeks ago.

My cheek apples are nice and defined but now my cheek hollows, temples, and right under cheek bone seem to need a bit of plumping. I'm not wanting a ton more lift or specific definition but rather a little filling in to even out that area to match the prominence of the Voluma in upper cheeks. I'm nervous to put more Voluma there and am interested in a "softer" filler. Any suggestions? Thank you!!

Thinner fillers

Without seeing you in person, it is impossible to say which fillers would best suit your needs, but there are any number of options. Voluma is the thickest filler which is why it is ideal for areas such as the mid-face/check. However, Juvederm and Restylane both make other HA products with a thinner consistency. Consult with your plastic surgeon about the right choice for your face. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Filling is a Process

Typically in my practice I go to Voluma as first line for structure, defining and lifting.  I like to let that settle and bring the patient back in a few weeks to go to what they need next, which will typically be Juvederm or Restylane.  Voluma is the thickest HA product (I don't really think of it as hard, since it is softer than some other non - hyaluronic - acid alternatives), with products like Juvederm next.  The finest lines should be addressed last.  As the filler product gets thinner or "softer" it won't last as long.  

I think you must have meant syringe instead of vial for Voluma, since Voluma comes in a syringe.

My suggestion is to return to your injector, and tell them what your concerns are.

Marla M. Klein, MD
Lake Oswego Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma and other fillers for facial volume in my NYC practice involves aesthetic sculpting

Once the deepest filler is used, such as Voluma, it is common, whether the same day, or at follow-up to place Juvederm, or Restylane in the slightly more superficial planes near the previously treated site to create a nice tapered smooth appearance. The lower cheeks often need to be filled in such a way after the Voluma is used for the temples, cheekbones or mid cheeks.

This has to be evaluated on a three dimensional basis, by looking at different angles. Then the physician may see the residual areas that are best served by injecting these other fillers.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma

Thank you for your question. You may continue to experience increased volume as you are only two weeks out of the procedure. Keep in mind that volume is a cross-linked hyaluronic acid, making it more viscous and able to last longer. Please consult with the board certified facial plastic surgeon who performed your injection to follow-up on your results and explore additional supplemental fillers.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for augmentation

Voluma is a fabulous product and ideal filler for many areas of the face.  It will give you a subtle lift and as long as you have a moderate amount of filler placed properly.  An experienced injector should be able to give you a natural result.  Best, Dr. Green

Facial Fillers

After correcting the initial area of concern, it is not uncommon for patients to become more aware of other areas that may need correction.  Starting with the cheeks is a great first step to begin restoring anatomy, but often additional augmentation is needed to restore other areas, as you mentioned.  I would suggest following up with your injector and discuss placing additional fillers in other areas.  They can give their recommendations based upon your anatomy as to which filler will best meet your needs.

Kent V. Hasen, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Voluma in the cheeks

Hello, and thanks for your question. I suspect that now that your cheeks are corrected, you are noticing other areas that are in need of correction. You will likely require a combination of products to get an optimal results in the locations you are describing. I suggest posting photos so I can be more specific. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for sharing your question and congratulations on your Voluma treatment.  Now that your cheeks have been rejuvenated the other parts of your facial rejuvenation can be achieved with the use of other dermal fillers such as Juvederm, Sculptra, and Restylane.  Voice your desires to your injector, they should be able to assist you with continued treatments.  Hope this helps.

Now that cheeks look good, other areas need volume

The type of filler is not important and should not be a concern to you. It all depends on the injector and what he/she feels is the best for the area being treated. This is a common problem because our entire face ages, not just the cheeks. It is one reason Sculptra is a popular filler in my practice. It is able to volumize the entire face instead of "spot treating" with the HA fillers.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Other filler options

Thank you for your question. Voluma is wonderful product - and can be used in all areas of the face. In the areas that you are describing, namely the cheek hollows and temples, I will often use a filler with more lift - like Voluma or Restylane lift. However, if they are subtle, a "softer" filler, or a filler with a little less lift, is Juvederm, or Juvederm Ultra Plus. All of these fillers are related, in that they are hyaluronic acids - however, Voluma is crossed linked, and that means it tends to last longer (studies say about 18 months, but most patients need touch-ups at about a year), while Juvederm can last 6-9 months depending. I would suggest having an in-depth discussion with your injector, and asking to hear all of your options. Best of luck!