I have a black flower tattoo on my neck I want removed? (Photo)

I'd like this professionally done black ink rose tattoo Removed. I have light olive skin tone and love to have it 100% gone and no scar but I know that can't be guaranteed. From what I understand picoway would be the best? I'm having problems finding a good doctor. I live in Santa Cruz, but willing to travel for someone that will do this right! All the way to Monterey and even to San Francisco. Please help!

Laser Choices for Black Tattoo Removal

We use the Cynosure/ Medlite C6 which is a 1064 YAG laser which does not affect skin pigment.  This has been the standard laser for tattoo removal before Picosure. The Picosure is an Alexandrite laser and that wavelength has the disadvantage of interacting with melanin which can cause at least temporary lightening of the skin. Incidence of scarring is very low with either of these Q-swtiched lasers, less than 1% in our practice, and then it is more like a texture abnormality than an actual scar. More treatments are needed using the YAG laser, but it is reliable and particularly good for black tattoos. The cost per treatment is considerably less than the Picosure. With regard to number of treatments, there is a novel new product to help in getting rid of tattoos faster. It is called Describe PDF patch. This allows the tattoo to be treated 2-3 times during the same session, and at higher powers. Usually the tattoo turns white after treatment. This goes away in about 20-30 minutes, but you can't treat while it is present. The PDF patch stops the white from forming and lasting. In a few minutes you can treat the tattoo again, and then once more.  So this is like getting 2-3 treatments at one time and it cuts down the time and expense to remove it.   Our practice  was the second in the Bay Area to start doing laser tattoo removal back in the 90's with the Q-switched ruby laser and we have maintained an active practice since.

Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Removal -- Takes a Series of Treatments

I suggest seeing an expert this can be improved with laser treatments. I  suggest seeing a cosmetic dermatologist.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Tattoo Removal

You would be a great candidate for the Alex Trivantage laser. The multiple wave lengths can target all the colors and pigment in the tattoo with 4-6 sessions.  You should contact a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible. 

Black flower tattoo on neck I want removed?

Hello, thank you for your question and for including a photo.  We use the PicoWay laser here at Paradise Valley Dermatology. Prior to purchasing the PicoWay we had much success with the Q-switch device. The PicoWay Laser (Candela/Syneron) uses photoacoustic impact/pressure waves rather than photothermal/heat.  This process has less heat, therefore it is more comfortable and the chances of hyperpigmentation are less.  The Pico-second pulse shatters the ink into even smaller particles, allowing the body to more easily absorb the ink. The pico technology can generally remove unwanted ink in about half as many treatments as the Q-switch device. Your tattoo appears to be only black with some shading, black ink is the easiest/most responsive color to treat.  You can check in your area to see if the PicoWay technology is available by clicking on the web reference below and putting in your zip code to find a provider in your area.Good Luck!

Mark A. Blair, MD
Phoenix Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser Tattoo Removal Black Ink

Pico lasers are the most advanced technology. My preference for black ink is the PiQo4 laser which has 4 Pico wavelengths including the 1064 wavelength making it possible to remove 96% of ink in as little as 4-6 treatments. I also utilize the Picosure for a total of 5 Pico wavelengths. Tattoos are removed faster and safer with Pico lasers and there is less risk of scarring. I believe it is important not only to seek the best technology but an experienced laser tattoo removal provider. I have been practicing laser tattoo removal for almost 20 years.

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Use the Best Technology for Tattoo Regret

Q-Switch or nanosecond lasers came out about 20 years ago.  Picosecond laser came out about 3 years ago.  The majority of former Q-Switch patients we see have significant hypopigmentation (ghosting) around and under their tattoo.  The Q-Switch lasers have trouble differentiating between the melanin in your skin and ink.  The technology uses heat to burn the pigment out of your skin.  In addition, we have seen patients with raised scars as if they have been branded.  Both of these condition are irreversible. 

Picosecond lasers (like the PicoWay & PicoSure) fire 1000 times faster, using a pressure wave rather than heat to shear the ink molecules apart.  After using the PicoSure for almost 2 years, we have only seen pinpoint hypopigmentation in a very small number of patients usually of darker skin tones.  We cannot say it is impossible to get burned with a Picosecond laser, but it is highly unlikely.  We tell every PicoSure tattoo patient to expect at least 6 treatments, but don’t be surprised if it takes 10 to 12.  Patience is the key for our patients.  We typically see our tattoo removal patients every 6 to 8 weeks initially.  If they have more time than money, we encourage them to come every 6 months as the tattoos seem to continue to fade while they wait.

We recommend waiting 6 weeks until your tattoo is healed and then finding an experienced physician in your area.  Treatment prices vary by market.  The cost for picosecond treatments will be higher, but you should need less than half the treatments compared to a  nanosecond laser.

Laura Riehm, MD
Fort Worth Physician