Does it cost extra to lower the breast crease?

I've noticed that many times during a breast augmentation, the patients breast crease is lowered to fit the implant. Is that the same as pocket plication, and as a result, an extra cost? Or is lowering the breast crease part of the augmentation to make a better pocket and doesn't cost anything extra?

Extra costs and lowering the inframammary fold

I don't charge anything extra for lowering the fold, nor do I charge for pocket plication. Optimizing the area for the breast implant is part of my job. I think you need to talk to the surgeon you're consulting with about these specific issues.

Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Is the cost higher if the fold needs to be lower?

Lowering the crease, or the inframammary fold, is often an integral part of breast augmentation and does not call for extra charges. Some patients have an abnormally tight or constricted fold, or a “tuberous breast” deformity, and in these cases additional steps (and additional costs) may be appropriate. Lower the fold is NOT the same as a “plication”. Plication usually refers to closing off a space, or making the fold higher.

Neal Handel, MD

Lowering the inframammary crease

Lowering the crease under your breast is often needed to accommodate the breast implant, and is part of the operation itself. There should be no additional charges for any of these types of maneuvers when undergoing a breast augmentation. 

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Lowering the breast crease is part of the breast augmentation

Lowering the breast crease is occasionally necessary to place the implant in the optimal position. 

In our practice, we spend a significant amount of time to help our patients choose the perfect implant. We use silicone sizers as well as 3D imaging to give a preview of postoperative expectations.

Be sure to consult with a board certified/eligible plastic surgeon.

- Dr. Bryson Richards (Las Vegas Plastic Surgeon)

Bryson G. Richards, MD

Extra cost for lowering breast crease?

Thank you for your question.  It would be unusual to charge more to lower a breast crease.  This is typically seen as part of the augmentation operation to correct any asymmetries. 

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

No!

Lowering the breast crease is considered part of a breast augmentation procedure. On the other hand, pocket

plication is not part of a first time breast augmentation procedure, but rather deals with a tightening of an

existing implant pocket of a breast that has been augmented. You would expect to pay an additional amount

for this procedure, over and above what was paid for the breast augmentation.

George Sanders, MD

Breast Augmentation

I appreciate your question.
Surgical pricing is based on the amount of time for the procedure and the complexity.
This should be included as part of the procedure if needed.
More important is why does the crease need to be lowered?
Is there a constriction, or just asymmetry?

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

NO!

If the surgeon wants to charge you extra to lower the fold, you need to find a more honest surgeon.  This is part of the breast augmentation.  Not every augmentation is the same.  Each requires different maneuvers to create the best breast shape.  If there is a price list for each component of the surgery that you need, you should be very concerned. 

What you are describing is not plication.  Plication is closing the pocket not lowering the fold. 

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Charges with augmentation

Ethical surgeons would not charge you to lower your fold/increase the pocket for accommodating your implants.  Problems down the road can result in additional charges to repair them, depending on what they are.

Curtis Wong, MD

Lowering the crease or fold would be part of the augmentation procedure. Plication is part of reducing the size of the pocket which is often necessary after lowering the crease due to the double bubble and bottoming out that happens once the natural fold is destroyed. There is no charge to lower it. There is a charge to go back and repair it.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD