Any advice on cohesive silicone gel?

I am doing my research and trying to understand the different options and what I prefer- I was leaning towards silicone. Then I read an article that said that even the cohesive FDA approved (new) silicone gel can melt into a liquid at body temp, and if it were to leak, can still leak into your body. Is this true?

No Melting at Body Temperature

Unfortunately, there's a lot of misinformation on the Internet. Contrary to what you read, the cohesive silicone gel found inside breast implants does not liquefy in the human body, and there is no risk of leaking. Additionally, the gel filling is contained inside a different kind of durable silicone shell, so breakage is unlikely. If it does occur, you can rest assured that the filling will stay securely inside your breast capsule. This peace of mind is what makes cohesive silicone gel one of today's most popular implant options. Thanks for doing your research!

Any advice on cohesive silicone gel?

The new cohesive gel breast implants have been approved by the FDA and are safe.  They do not Milpas at body temperature and the article that you read likely misinformed you.For more information on the safety of breast implants please read the following Lynk:

Cohesive gel implants

It seems as though you may have been misled by the article that you read.  None of the silicone gels "melt" at body temperature, and in fact, silicone is one of the most stable substances when it comes to heat.  (That is why so many of your kitchen utensils are made out of silicone!)  I recommend a visit with a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can discuss the different options and facts with you and that way you can get all of your questions answered by an expert.

Silicone vs. Saline

Silicone gel does not melt in the body.  It can soften, but it stays a solid.  Regardless, ruptured silicone gel implants are not harmful.  
You should go on a few consults so that you get accurate information.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Cohesive gel implants

are safe as best we know.  The gel can become softer in the body but the cohesiveness helps keep the material together if the shell should break.  MRI's are recommended but if you are doing great and have no issues with shape, look, symptoms, etc, I tell my patients to get it before the 10 year anniversary from their surgery date to possibly cash in on the warranty if it is 'ruptured'.  The capsule or scar tissue that forms around the implant is another 'barrier' to help contain the gel should the shell fail.  So dispersion into your tissues is not anticipated should the shell fail.

Curtis Wong, MD

Choice of Breast Implant

Please keep in mind that no implant is perfectly safe and long lasting.  Most patients these days do choose cohesive gel implants and even their surgeons would most likely choose them for their own family members due to their superior natural feel, expected durability and very low rate of rupture.  No one knows whether they will prove to be somewhat superior or vastly superior to the previous silicone gel implants in 20-30 years but most doctors are impressed with them and comfortable recommending them. 
Keep in mind that although silicone gel does not "melt" at body temperature, it's still possible that years from now the shells may break open allowing some access of silicone to your body.  It's also possible that this will prove to not be an issue.  You do have the choice of a saline implant (and I would strongly recommend that you consider the Ideal Saline Implant over standard saline implants) after a thorough discussion with your surgeon.  Do your research, make your choice and enjoy your results.  Best of luck.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Silicone Implants and Rupture

This question would require a very lengthy explanation, however in general a silicone implant that ruptures, the gel will stay put in the capsule usually.

The newer silicone gel implants are filled with a more cohesive silicone as compared to the silicone in the past.  This silicone has more cross linking and has a tendency to stay attached to each other even when the shell is disturbed (ruptured).  If this does happen, the silicone will not leak as the silicone in the past did.  Also there is a formed capsule that surrounds the implant which will contain the silicone for some time if it is not discovered.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Silicone gel breast implants are safe

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

Having said that, highly-cohesive means the inner silicone fill has a higher viscosity (thicker). Silicone can be made into different thicknesses depending on the length of the chemical chains and amount of cross linking in the silicone gel breast implant. Highly cohesive means the gel feels stiffer when in the breast implant.

Form stable means if you sit the breast implant upright on a desk it will hold its shape instead of collapsing into a wrinkled device. Form stable and highly cohesive go hand in hand as the gel is stiff enough to hold its shape.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Silicone vs saline

Thank you for your question and at your consultation your surgeon should go over the relative risks and benefits of both silicone and saline implants so you can make an informed choice as to what is best for you.  That said the majority of women choose gel implants!

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Yes

It can migrate through the tissue over time if not removed. Every three years the patient should have an MRI to evaluate for rupture 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS