19, female. Receded chin + excess neck skin. Best size implant or other solution? (Photo)

my chin is tiny; i feel i have a grotesquely thick neck additionally, as there is enough neck skin to make my chin slope straight down into my collarbone whereas many people have good long jaws and compact, skinny necks. my weak profile makes me look like a saggy, older. i maintain a "fake" chin by shoving my jaw out all day which hurts. What would the most effective solution be? If Im paying for a chin id like to be paying for a Good Chin; would a medium or large chin implant be too much?

Chin implant candidate

Chin implants are manufactured in a large array of sizes and shapes from a variety of manufacturers. The size and the shape of the implant is usually determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since the chin and the implants are both three-dimensional structures. Digital computer imaging would be helpful to get understanding of what size may be required. In our practice, we place chin implants under local anesthesia as an outpatient surgical procedure through a small incision underneath the chin. For more information, many examples of the implants,  our current price list and many examples, please see the link and the video below

19, female. Receded chin + excess neck skin. Best size implant or other solution?

Dear YeyhaA small or medium chin implant combined with neck liposuction can go far to improve you neck line and profile. It is performed as a safe and predictable outpatient procedure. With chin implants, larger sizes tend to be associated with higher complication rates and caution about oversized implants is a must.Look for an experienced and well trained plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. See more than one consult and make a well informed decision.

Afshin Parhiscar, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Medium anatomic Implantech chin implant

You should consider the medium sized anatomic chin implant which will provide you projection and some lateral fullness; During your consultation, you can try out all of the sizes in order to hone in on the exact implant you would prefer.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Recessive chin

a sliding genioplasty is preferred in your situation since it lengthens the muscles under the chin directly as it is advance. An implant wont do that. Talk to a Maxillofacial surgeon.

Gerald Wittenberg, MSc, DMD
Vancouver Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Concerned About Lack of Definition of Neck Angle and Lack of Chin Prominence

In general, in women the most projecting point of the chin falls just behind a line drawn downward through the most forward point of the upper and lower lips on lateral view.  When you thrust your jaw forward the jaw actually goes anterior to this line, so if you get a chin implant it should probably not be big enough to do this. Although it takes an in person exam to evaluate this, a combination of a right-sized chin implant and possibly some neck liposuction might be a good combination to improve neck definition and bring the chin and neck into harmony. 

Robert M. Lowen, MD
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Chin and excess skin treaments

Dear yeyha,
  • A combination of chin implant with liposuction contouring of the neck would look nice
  • It is best to have a physical exam to see what the main issues are, and what size would look best on you (we have sizers in the office)
  • when you are ready, please see a specialist who can address all of your concerns
Best,Dr. Nima

Nima Shemirani, MD

Chin augmentation possibly nose surgery

It appears that chin augmentation with implant would be  good starting point. It is impossible to suggest size and style of implant without detailed clinical evaluation and discussion with patient. A nose correction, which can be done in the same time, would further improve facial balance and harmony.
You should seek a consultation with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon for a detailed clinical evaluation and discus your options. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant for receding chin and excess neck skin

Thank you for asking about your chin implant.
  • I agree with your plan to have a chin implant.
  • Sizes range from extra-small to extra large (depending on the type of implant.)
  • I would think a small or medium implant would suit you - large would likely look too masculine.
  • I suggest your surgeon using sizers at surgery to confirm the look is good before placing the final implant 
  • I see no need for liposuction - you have definition with your jaw out - this suggests you have no excess fat.
  • You might need tightening of the platysma muscle under the chin at the time of implant surgery to get as defined a look as possible.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

19, female. Receded chin + excess neck skin.

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Hope this helps.