I'm hearing noise around my implants after 1year...I did not hear it before. Any suggestions?

What could this be? This is my second set of implants. The first I had saline for 13 years. This is silicone and at 1yr, 4 months. It has just started.

Visit your PS

Thank you for the question. It would be difficult to fully assess your situation without an in-person examination. Though fluid or air accumulation is not uncommon early after surgery, but it has been 1 year now for your case.  Visit a board-certified plastic surgeon and have a full evaluation. Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Visit your PS

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sudden change

Hi there and thanks for posting your question on Realself.
Because you have a new change in your breasts at a time remote from your implant placement surgery you should be seen and evaluated by a board certified plastic surgeon to rule out suspicion of implant rupture, infection or other implant related issues. Your surgeon will be able to examine you and discuss potential causes for your observation and how to investigate and address them.

Best of luck.

Sudden change

Best of luck.

Noise around implants

Early after surgery, the air introduce around the implant and the fluid present can make a "noise" that the patient can hear. This late in the game I would consider a new fluid collection such as a serum. These can be easily evaluated with ultrasound. I recommend going back to see your PS. Good luck. 

Noise around implants

I'm hearing noise around my implants after 1 year...I did not hear it before. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your question.  Because this is a sudden change in your surgical results, I think it wise to be evaluated by your surgeon in an in-person fashion.  Though initial sounds are common with residual trapped air or fluid in the breast implant pocket, at a year out this is not so.  One would like to rule out a potential fluid collection, such as a seroma.  

Noise Around Implants

Hearing sounds as the implant settles soon after surgery is pretty common, but not as common farther out from surgery as the tissue pocket has matured.  Have you noticed any increased swelling or pain?  I would contact your doctor for an evaluation and how to proceed (thinking it's likely not anything to be concerned about though, unless you are actually having more swelling/pain/redness).  Best of luck!

Noise Around Implants

Noise around your breast implant

Hearing noise around your breast implant is a common issue in the first days or weeks after surgery. This is due to fluid and air that eventually goes away by itself. The "noise" is almost always internal and can only be heard by the individual and not by others. 

Experiencing the sensation of noise around your implant a year later is uncommon, but not particularly worrisome. As long as you are not having other symptoms like swelling redness or pain, I recommend you see your surgeon non-emergently after the holiday. Most often these issues resolve spontaneously without treatment. Best wishes. 

Michael S. Hopkins, MD (retired)
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Noise around your breast implant

Michael S. Hopkins, MD (retired)
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon