When can I take part in water activities after a mommy makeover?

How long after Mommy make over ( TT & BA) can I go into a steam room and or dry sauna at a spa?

About Your Recovery and Activity Post Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.   

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks.
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Sauna or steam

Steam rooms, saunas, jacuzzi's, hot baths will not affect your implants wheather they are saline or silicone gel. Your core body temperature (where the implants are) will remain within a few degrees of normal regardless of the outside temperature. Silicone by the way can withstands large degrees of heat without degradation or breakdown.
#breastaugmentation
#breastimplants

Post op care for MM

Thank you for your question. This is one of the very last activities that I introduce back to patients recovering from a MM. You really must get approval from your surgeon that the incisions are completely healed, and that there is no risk of infection. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

I would ask your surgeon this question since he or she has seen you post-op. In general, once your incisions have fully healed it should be safe to resume water activities. That means no scabbing whatsoever with all steri strips off. This is usually about three weeks post-op. Good luck!

Getting back to water-based activities

Because each practice has their own post surgical preferences, t's best to check with your surgeon but general in about 3 weeks, once your incisions are fully healed.

I appreciate your question.

As soon as all of the incisions have completely healed.  About 2-3 weeks.  Depends on each person.  Best to discuss with your surgeon as each surgeon has their own specific post op protocol.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Speak with your surgeon

As every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol, I would advise you to speak with your surgeon. In general, I advise my patients to wait until all of the incisions have fully healed. This could be 2-3 weeks depending on how fast your body heals. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Resuming water activities after a mommy makeover.

I would permit resumption of immersion in water as soon as all of the incisions have completely sealed. Plan about two weeks.

Incisions Must Be Well Healed.

Most important is that your incisions are fully healed and sealed.  No scabs, open spots or discolored tissue.  

Most of the time, this has occurred at two to three weeks, but everyone is different and some will take longer.  Best to get clearance from your plastic surgeon after your incisions have been inspected. 

Exercise after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I do not allow a steam room or dry sauna at a spa for at least 6 weeks after surgery.
  • But every patient and every surgeon is different - so check with your own surgeon to be sure.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes