I have extra fat in my lower cheeks I'm desperately trying to get rid of. (photo)

It's more pronounced recently but no weight gained. Is there a non-invasive procedure that would yield a supple look, without the dimples and unevenness one can get from liposuction.

Doctor Answers 4

Pronounced fat pads

This is difficult to analyze from this one photograph. It may be herniated cheek fat (fat pad of Bichet or buccal fat pad). In addition there appears to be deficiency of fat in the cheek above this area. Removing that fat pad intraorally sounds deceptively simple but it often deflates the face.  It may be better to repair the hernia and save that fat to restore the natural facial fullness. Just a different thought.

San Jose Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

No dimples or unevenness here--liposuction, lasers and fillers for facial contouring

I suggest you speak to a facial contouring expert, you may be a candidate for liposuction of your lower face and in combination with laser or filler procedures will give you great results. I suggest a formal consultation with an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 196 reviews

Buccal fat pad maybe

That appears to be the buccal fat pad.  That is something you can remove with an incision inside the mouth and the healing time is about a week without much downtime. Typically you can go to work after that and just stick to a soft bland diet for week. That being said it might not be the best option for you because it may create a situation where that fat pocket appears better but the face overall appears more aged. You might be better off with volumization of areas that have been depleted.   Fat transfer or filler may be a good option for you. I would get a few consultations before proceeding with anything. It appears your cheekbones, tear trough, midface, temples, and jawline could maybe be improved with volume.

Chase Lay, MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 76 reviews

Cheek fulness

Based on this very limiting information it appears that your problem is related to buccal fat pads. Conservative reduction through an incision inside your mouth will improve your cheek appearance. You should seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with good reputation in facial rejuvenation surgery. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 17 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.