I applied Vitamin E oil on recipient area on 5th and 6th day after hair transplant of 4500 grafts, did I ruin my transplant?

My doctor did not instruct me to apply vitamin e oil. But I was not given elaborate instructions on how to take care of grafts post hair transplant. I was not told how to shampoo. I was only asked to keep area moist by spraying water. My mother applied vitamin e oil on scalp by gently dabbing. She said no hair grafts fell during that time. Now its been 20 days after hair transplant 70% of grafts have fallen.

Thanks for your query. Vitamin E won’t cause the hair grafts to fall if applied very gently. Post hair transplant, the hair should be washed on day 4 with a very mild shampoo, preferable a baby shampoo, and the application of topical Minoxidil should be started thereafter. If 70% of your grafts have fallen, you should consult your treating doctor. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon

If you are not sure about what to do after surgery, it is best to call your doctor for clarifications.

If you are not sure about what to do after surgery, it is best to call your doctor for clarifications.  Vitamin E oil should not be an issue.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

20 days post op

by now the majority of the transplanted hair shafts should have fallen out, this is a normal process of hair transplant. You will see what grows from the transplant in about a year or so. Be sure to have follow up with the surgeon who performed your transplant.

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician

Post op care

An FUE is treated just like a regular hair transplant with regard to the recipient area, but the donor area has open wounds which require daily washing with soap and water. Within 3 days of surgery, you can resume full activities, heavy exercises if you wish. The recipient area requires daily washes as well to keep the recipient area free of crusts. I generally recommend the use of a sponge and supply my patient with a surgical sponge to fill with soapy water and press on the recipient area daily. By repeating this daily, all crusts can be washed off without any fear of losing grafts. IF any crust are present, use a Q tip and dip it into soapy water, and roll it on the crusts and that will lift them off without dislodging them, but never rub them, just roll the Q tip on the recipient crust. I like to see no evidence of any crusting in the recipient area and the crusts from the donor area gone in 7-10 days with daily washing.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon