Do I have gyno? Which doctors can I go to, to check up and make sure it is? Is $3000 enough to cover up for the surgery? (Photo)

I have had chest thicker than normal person's since i was 12, I am now 22 and honestly I still don't have any clue whether I do have gyno or not. There are lumps underneath my nipples.
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Do I have gyno?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  Nothing replaces an in-person examination, but it does appear that you have a small case of gynecomastia that would best be treated with surgical excision.  I would advise you to see a board certified plastic surgeon in consultation, as they will be able to confirm the diagnosis and offer the best treatment advice.  If surgery is required, 3000 is unlikely to cover the full costs, but there are financing options available.  Hope that this helps.

Who is a Gynecomastia Surgery Candidate & the Treatment Costs

The male breast is composed of glandular tissue and fatty tissue. An excess in either type of tissue can cause the chest to take on the look of gynecomastia. Gynecomastia can affect #men of all different body types and there are different types of #gynecomastia. Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.
There are three types of surgical #treatment #options available that treat gynecomastia. Your board-certified plastic surgeon will recommend the type best suited for you.  The most important decision to be made before performing any surgical procedure is determining whether you are an ideal candidate.                                                                           According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons the average #cost of #gynecomastia surgery can vary widely. #Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment.
Costs will also vary with geographic location.  Estimated costs can be found here on, or

Liposuction to treat gynecomastia.

Thank you for your question and pictures regarding gynecomastia. It appears from your history and pictures that you do indeed have gynecomastia. Since you mentioned you have lumps “underneath the nipples”, this is suggestive of male breast glandular tissue.

Since you are 22 and have Type II gynecomastia, I would suggest VASER liposuction. I would specifically suggest VASER liposuction because it will help to break up and dissolve the male breast glandular tissue. By having your surgeon use the VASER liposuction, ideally, you can avoid a larger incision. The VASER liposuction can get rid of male breast glandular tissue and chest fat. Typically, the male breast liposuction procedure from gynecomastia takes 1 to 2 hour. The gynecomastia liposuction procedure is performed as an outpatient procedure. Typically, you are able to return to work in 5 to 7 days. Incisions are about the size of a pencil eraser and are placed just around the areola or armpit.

$3000 sounds a little expensive for gynecomastia liposuction. I would have several consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons who specialize in gynecomastia VASER liposuction surgery.

Good luck. If you have any further questions regarding gynecomastia, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen.

Do I Have Gyno?

You do appear to have gynecomastia, but you should be evaluated by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia. $3000 most likely will not cover your surgery, it may cover most of the surgeon's fee but there will also be the surgical facility fee and a fee for the anesthesiologist. You might be able to get a loan from a company such as Care Credit to finance the balance of your surgery so that you can proceed. Your surgeon's office should be able to help you apply if you choose to go that route. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

You are a great candidate for gynecomastia repair. You should choose a plastic surgeon who does these routinely and check out their before and after examples. Please see example below and contact our office for an estimate while our special is still available.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Thank you for the photos and the questions and YES based on the photos alone and historyyou do appear to have gynecomastia.  So see some experts in your area and find out how best to treat it.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

That looks like a mild case of gynecomastia. I usually treat those with a combination of liposuction and direct excision, although it is possible that direct excision is the only thing you would need. I usually use an incision around the areola as it hides well. $3000 is unlikely to be enough to cover gynecomastia surgery in most private offices. You may want to look for a plastic surgery residency program. You see residents, but the attending surgeons teaching them are very good and you can usually get a reduced rate. There are also financing programs available and many offices take credit cards.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

From the photographs it appears to be what I would consider to be an " average " case  of gynecomastia. Make sure you find a board-certified plastic surgeon who does significant numbers of this particular operation. In our facility it would be done through a small incision inside your armpit with no visible scar  on the front of the chest removing both fat and if necessary gland tissue. Obviously, fees will vary significantly from area to area. Good luck with your research. 

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon