Is it bad to workout two days before BA surgery?

My surgery is in two days, I just came back from a long vacation and I haven't worked out in couple of weeks. I know I'm gonna be sore if I go to the gym. Should I skip working out? I feel like crap for not being able to exercise. I want to do legs and stay in the sauna for 15 mins. I've consumed a ton of alcohol over the weekend.... I need to sweat it out.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. Yes, you cannot do big efforts, pull, or push for at least 30 days. Use your post-surgical bra for at least 3 months.

Working out before surgery

There is no medical reason not to work out prior to surgery- in fact, it will probably lift your spirits and calm your mind in preparation for surgery. Just be sure to HYDRATE before and after- especially if you use the sauna. The workout in addition to a week of drinking can lead to dehydration, which wouldn't be good before surgery. You'll want to replenish with both water and electrolytes (gatorade). Best wishes, Dr. Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Is it bad to work out two days before BA surgery?

There should be no harm in working out a day or two prior to breast augmentation surgery.  However, you should avoid exercise or any strenuous activity for the first three to four weeks following the surgery.  Exercise can in crease blood pressure which could cause post operative bruising or bleeding.  Check with your surgeon as to their recommendations regarding resuming any exercise routine following any surgical procedure.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Exercise before breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question. i suggest you avoid doing exercises involving your chest, it is best for your chest muscles to be relaxed and not swollen for the surgery. That said, it is good to keep active, maybe some cardio exercise will be the best option. You should ask your chosen surgeon for his/her advice. Good luck!

Exercise prior to surgery

It would be ok to work out prior to surgery. I ask my patients to not over do it, but allow them to stay active prior. I ask them to wait to go back to the gym for three weeks.

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Workout two days before BA surgery?

We do not restrict our patients from working out up until the day of surgery. Check with your surgeon to be sure they are comfortable with this.

Work outs.

Thanks for this question. I think workouts are fine before surgery, but your plastic surgeon may feel different about this situation. If you develop any minor injuries or sore muscles do not use aspirin or NSAIDs as these could increase the risks of bleeding. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Working out prior to surgery

I agree best to ask your surgeon but generally there shouldn't be a problem with working out two days prior to BA. I don't have a problem with my patients even working out the night before. But every surgeon is different so best to ask your physician. 

Regards,

Surjit S. Rai, MD

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Excercise before BA

Exercise before a breast augmentation surgery is completely fine, especially if you are focusing on lower body exercises. I would recommend staying away from the chest exercises because we don't want you to have much soreness going into surgery. After surgery is when you must limit your physical activity until your surgeon feels its okay to continue your workout regimen.

Brett E. Stompro, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

I would discuss your preoperative instructions with your doctor, but I allow my patients to work out up until the day of surgery. Best of luck.
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon