Wanting to go from an A to C to make my chest proportionate to the rest of my body. 5'6", 140 pounds w/ puffy nipples (Photo)

I'm in the process of doing research for what cc would be the best to obtain my desired look. I'm hoping to go from an 34A to a C and if possible make the gap in between them smaller. I'm hoping they will be more rounded out as well and less pointed. My fear however is that my nipples will become stretched and look even larger since they are already pretty big and puffy. Is this a possibility? I also stumbled across tuberous breasts. Could mine be a minor version of this or just small?

Breast Augmentation

From looking at your photos, I do think you are a good candidate for the procedure and I do not think you have tuberous breasts. Picking the right size implant will be important. See a board certified plastic surgeon and good luck!

Middletown Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your photos. You do not have a tuberous breast deformity. Your appear to be a good candidate for breast augmentation from your photos but it is best to have an in-office examination to take precise measurements and to examine the quality of your skin and breast tissue to determine the best treatment plan as well as the appropriate implant size given your body measurements. Nipples can become stretched with augmentation although this is usually not significant if you are not going for a dramatic jump in size. It is likely that your current nipple areolar complex will look better proportioned with larger breasts. If the nipple and areola are still too large after augmentation, you can always get a minor resizing procedure done at a later time to adjust them to a size of your liking. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Implants will only enlarge what you have

and your 'pointiness' will not change with an implant... but it will make you larger and fuller and can decrease the space between the mounds (better cleavage).  You do not have tuberous breasts.  Find a local surgeon who can help you through this and make sure your expectations are understood so you will not be disappointed in the end.  Some surgeons do not want to increase your natural base width so you will have to make sure your surgeon is not one of them.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements.  Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance.  Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.  

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).

Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.

These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Breast Augmentation

Christy, your breasts seem very appropriate for an augmentation and it appears that in your case the operation would be rather straight forward.  You are not going to get very good information online as far as the correct size of implants because it depends on the entirety of your body proportion- you will be better off to talk to a Board Certified plastic surgeon and go through sizing in the office.  In my office we actually have you try on implant sizers to get an idea of what you want to look like and we have an excellent track record of getting our patients the look that they want.  The other local Santa Barbara plastic surgeons will take excellent care of you as well.  

If you are going simply for a proportionate look, I doubt that it will have a significant effect on increasing the size of your nipples or getting a "stretched" look.  As far as the puffiness, it is unlikely to get worse and might get somewhat better.  As far as the last part of your question, I don't think you have tuberous breasts, but again it is an exam which will get you the best information.  Hope that helps!

Dr. L

Wanting to go from an A to C to make my chest proportionate to the rest of my body.

Any time a breast is augmented, you need to expect to see some widening of your areolae.  Stretch them now to see how resistant to stretching your areaolar skin is to get an estimate.  I personally think that you are a good candidate for augmentation into a C cup size range and would be thinking of implants between 300-360 ccs to avoid too round and unnatural a look since your limitation will be distensibility of your lower breast skin.  Meet with bd. certified plastic surgeons to review photos of other patients and enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast augmenation will improve nipple fullness

If you simply just do a breast augmentation the stretch of the breast should even out the puffiness of the areola area.  You have nicely shaped breasts already.  Given you size you should go around 350-400 cc should make you a nice full C cup.  I would recommend the new Inspira SRM style of implant from Allergan. 

Benjamin Chu, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Puffy areolae

Based on your pictures, you will do great with breast augmentation.  You do have a minor variant of tuberous breast deformity which manifests as breast tissue that is pushed into (and under) the areolae, stretching them out, because of tightness in your lower pole.

I would recommend a shaped and slightly more firm ("gummy bear") implant to stretch out the lower pole of your breast.  You will likely have post operative puffiness under your areolae and may need a purse string tightening/areolar reduction to get you the best result.

Good luck.

Gil Kryger, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

You start with an anatomy that should produce an excellent result from a breast augmentation.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: Your individual anatomy, desired outcome, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing sit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 34 C and a 38 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer. Nor is there a direct correlation between implant shape or size and cup size.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

The areolas will generally look a little larger when implants are used to enlarge the breasts. You do not have tuberous breasts.

Robert Singer, MD FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tubular breast

You are an excellent Candidate for a submuscular breast enhancement with excision of retroareolar tissue which will reduce the puffiness that bothers you so much 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS