Skinny Guy trying to bulk - Is this neck fat from gaining weight or do I have a problem? (photo)

Height: 5"11' Weight: 145lbs So I am a skinny guy who is trying to put on some muscle. Admittedly I am not doing enough strength training (2-4 days a week). Also not doing any cardio. I am eating about 3000 calories a day. No junk food or soda. I recently noticed that my neck as no corner to it. Do I need liposuction to get rid of this?

Skinny Guy trying to bulk - Is this neck fat from gaining weight or do I have a problem?

It is possible that most of the lack of a nice chin neck angle has to do with muscle attachments as well as fate. Consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for a consultation evaluatonand get the proper procedure to achieve your goal.

Liposuction helps define jawlines/necks.

Liposuction will probably define your jawline and neck quite nicely and is easy to undergo under local.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction and/or Chin implant

Hello, thanks for your trust. You might need either or both of liposuction and a chin implant that would help you get a more chiseled look. You certainly would need to send pictures or even better to have an in person consultation.

Please make sure that you and your surgeon are on the same page. Don't forget to discuss all your concerns, options and expectations thoroughly. Have a safe and pleasant PS Journey! Respectfully, Dr. Jaime Campos-Leon Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Skinny Guy trying to bulk - Is this neck fat from gaining weight or do I have a problem

Liposuction is a good choice to remove fat that is under the skin. It will not remove fat located under the platysma muscle. During your consultation your surgeon will assess where your fat is located and recommend the best options. This may include liposuction or liposuction with subplatysmal fat excision and anterior plastymaplasty (sewing muscle edges together). Kybella is a third option, but only treats fat under the skin, not the muscle. 

Neck liposuction vs. Kybella

We have has some nice results with Kybella injections for patients with minimal to moderate neck fattiness. I still believe liposuction of the neck is more effective.

Fullness in the neck after weight gain

Even though you report the fullness in your neck and of jaw angle came from weight gain i'm guessing that you're still on the slim slide and not overweight.

Most patients especially young ones who have this concern and I'm not overweight have an insufficient jaw projection.

Another way of describing this is an in balance between your mandible and your midface or your maxilla.

Your profile picture clearly demonstrates an insufficient Jaw projection.

This would indicate that your primary problem is not one of fat distribution but rather bony inbalance.

While liposuction may help it is probably not going to treat your primary underlying concern of a bony imbalance.

A chin implant or sliding genioplasty maybe much better procedures.

Sometimes a combination of both will give the best results.

Some people with this condition will also have an overbite contributing to the overall look.

I highly suggest an in person consultation with more than one board-certified plastic surgeon's to get an accurate assessment of what the true problem is to get some ideas of treatment options.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Neck bulking up with weight gain program

Thank you for asking about your neck.

• Although you are underweight for your height, it appears your body wants to put some of the fat you are gaining into your neck.
  • So yes - liposuction or a central neck lift with fat removal and muscle tightening are surgical options.
  • If the fat is under the skin, Kybella office injections are another good option.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

VASER to the rescue with it's sidekick ThermiRF for neck and jaw.

It can be hard to predict how a body and face will change when someone bulks. I recommend getting a formal consultation with a facial contouring expert. VASER and ThermiRF are great for fat removal, tightening the skin and contouring the jawline. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

If you have seen a difference with your weight gain, then liposuction may help you regain a sharper angle. An in person exam is needed to know for sure. Good luck!

Fat neck

Thank you for your question. Hard to assess from the picture. Looks like a liposuction may help. Please consult with a board certified PS for evaluation.