Scar removal after Facelift. Any suggestions? (photos)

Hello i have a quastion about my scar after facelift. so its one year has passed since I did facelift. It`s possile to remove this scar. i mean of course its possible. just what you recommend?

Keloid scar removal after facelift.

it appears to be a small keloid where the air lobe attaches to the facial skin. It can be flattened with a steroid injection or it can be excised and closed with proper elevation. See a very experienced facelift surgeon for this revision. 

Hypertrophic scar treatment on year after facelift

The scar has no redness so is "mature" treatments aimed at reducing new growth like steroid or IPL or Laser will not have much effect. See your Surgeon for a simple revision then treat it preemptively with any or all of the above mentioned treatments.

Curtis Perry, MD
Downey Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thickened / hypertrophic facelift scar

Dear tedcapwellsb:Thanks for sharing your photo. This is a mild hypertrophic scar following a facelift which is generally easy to treat. Options include:
  1. massage
  2. intralesional steroid injection
  3. IPL and laser
  4. excision of the scar with revision of the earlobe attachment to the facial skin.
Please review these options with your surgeon and if he / she are uncomfortable or unable to provide the care, consider a second opinion consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. I wish you the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Scar

Hello, I would recommend seeing your plastic surgeon who could discuss steroid injection and possible revision. It is possible to remove the scar and start over...but often times injection and scar management without removal can improve the appearance. Good Luck. 

Face lift scar - how to improve?

Thank you for asking about your face lift scar.
  • I am sorry your scar ended up so thick.
  • Scar removal is one option, injection with steroid (with or without 5-FU) will softed and flatten the scar without surgery but won't narrow it.
  • The best approach might be to remove the scar, suture it carefully under magnification and inject with steroids or 5-FU if it starts to thicken.
  • Go back to your plastic surgeon, if possible, to discuss having this improved.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Scar revision

I would advise you to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and schedule a consultation to discuss a scar revision. I don't think that lasers or steroids will help at this point. This needs surgery. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Multiple Options Available

Scar revision treatments vary depending on the type and location of the scar. The slightly raised scar near the ear lobe shown in your photo can be addressed in several ways. Steroid injections are often recommended if a patient wants to avoid more invasive options. Laser or intense pulsed light procedures can also smooth out the area for an aesthetically pleasing result. That's just a a sampling: You can also discuss various surgical scar revision techniques with the surgeon who performed your facelift, or with another board-certified plastic surgeon.  

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices. Here are some simple tips. Scar Management tips:
  1. Minimize tension on the scar. Steri-Strips and/or surgical tape are often placed in non-hair bearing areas at the time of surgery to minimize tension and keep pressure over the scar.  This minimizes the  stress that  can pull the scar apart (dehiscence) creating a wound and  delaying healing time, and can make the scar wider, or more “ropy”. In the first few weeks after surgery, I recommend the use of Embrace Scar Therapy which is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar.
  2. Keep your incision site/scar clean to prevent infection. Follow your surgeon’s wound care instructions to the letter with out modification. Never apply different products then recommended without first discussing them with your surgeon. This is especially important during the first few weeks. If there are any signs of infection, contact your surgeon’s office right away and/or see your doctor or his nurse immediately. Typical signs of infection may include redness outside the immediate incision site, asymmetric swelling, and drainage, of pus, fever, chills, and “feeling sick”.
  3. Protect your scars from the sun. Staying out of the sun is the best advice. Minimal exposure to sunlight is prevents hyperpigmentation (permanently turning brown) and other problems that can make the scar more noticeable. Sunscreen, at least 30 SPF and an overlying make camouflage make up additionally protects the scar from the suns harmful rays. This advice is especially important the first year following your surgery.
  4. Use specific scar maturation products recommended by your surgeon. Patients seem to have their own opinions on this touting everything from Pure Vit E, Coco butter, to Aloe Vera, etc but most have minimal benefit other than keeping the scar hydrated. Although hydration is important there are better, scientifically studied products with greater efficacy. Most of the scientific articles written about this subject indicate that topical silicone gel or silicone sheets work the best. The best product available in my opinion is the Embrace Scar Therapy System by Neodyne BioSciences, Inc. available in many surgeons’ offices. Essentially this is an adherent silicone sheeting pre-stretched when applied so as to offload tension on the scar. For areas that are not applicable for this product (e.g. smaller areas or on the face), I prefer BioCorneum or Kelo-Cote products There are a lot of products to choose from, but silicone should be one of the key ingredients. Although Mederma, an onion extract derivative active ingredient rather than mainly silicone based may help, primarily silicone based products are better and many also contain other ingredients that may be synergistic (hydrocortisone or other steroid, Vitamin E, Sunscreen, etc).. If the reader has problems obtaining these they can call my office. Patient compliance is also critical – use often and according to directions or it will not work optimally. NEVER apply products without first discussing them with your surgeon.
  5. Monitor to make sure your scar is progressing optimally. Keep your scheduled follow-up appointments with your surgeon to verify that your scars are maturing as expected.  Occasionally if indicated you may need a topical steroid preparation or even a series of  injections (5-FU and/or Steroids) or laser treatments  to treat or  prevent scar hypertrophy or keloid formation (red raised scars), or other topical medicines to treat post inflammatory hyperpigmentation (brown scars) with prescription creams and possible laser treatments.

Scar Revision following Facelift

I would certainly see a facial plastic surgeon with years of experience performing facelift surgery and scar revision procedures to excise the scar to revise it. Steroid injections may be a good idea as well.

Scott K. Thompson, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift scar revision

Thanks for your question. Scars like this occur when there is too much tension on the skin. Your best bet would be to have the scar excised and then closed without tension. The biggest limiting factor would be if you have enough laxity in your facial tissues to make this possible. Sometimes people don't have enough for several years because the skin needs to stretch a little. Your surgeon would be able to tell if this would work or it would be best to wait.Dermabrasion would be another option to sand the scar down, but it wouldn't fix the width issue.

Robert S. Schmidt, MD
College Station Facial Plastic Surgeon