Probability my double bubble will worsen/persist after explant. Does removing the capsule affect the aesthetic result? (photos)

I got 300cc mentor smooth silicone implants in 2010 (small B went to a DD, way bigger than I wanted). Has impacted running and swimming for me. I had a revision in 2012 to improve double bubble and a significant animation deformity (AD did not improve). I still have minor DB, but I want to remove the implants completely. Is having it done under local anesthesia safe and smart? I do not want to replace the implants.

Removing implants - is local anesthesia safe and smart?

Thank you for asking about your implant removal.

• I am sorry you have had such problems with your implants.
  • I will not remove silicone implants with local anesthesia for two reasons -
  • There may be a silicone leak - silicone cannot be properly removed with local anesthesia.
  • You are likely to have a capsule that needs to be removed with the implant.
  • This also requires general anesthesia.¬†
  • Finally you may also want a breast lift to reshape your breasts but this is optional.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Implant removal with muscle repair.

I am so sorry you have had such a difficult time with your implants.  I do not recommend doing this under local, especially since you need to have your pectoralis major muscle repaired.  From your question, it seems that your primary issues are a result of your muscles being elevated.  It really needs to be repaired at the time of explant.  Depending on your exam, you may need part or all of your capsule removed and will likely benefit from an internal lift procedure.  Good luck!

Kelly Killeen, MD

Probability my double bubble will worsen/persist after explant. Does removing the capsule affect the aesthetic result?

Thank you for your pictures and questions. Sorry to hear of your ongoing problems. You can have the implants removed with local anesthesia, but sometimes removing the capsule requires something more like a general anesthesia. In addition, removing the implants will result in a deflated appearance to the breast that will affect the overall aesthetics. I would discuss these concerns with your surgeon and discuss your goals for your post-op appearance so you can discuss how to achieve those goals.

Dallas Buchanan, MD
Spokane Plastic Surgeon

Explanation

The double bubble should resolve with the removal of the implants and part of the capsule as deemed necessary

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS