Belly button bleeding and very red after tummy tuck on 6/30. (photo)

I had a tummy tuck on 6/30 and my belly button still drains a lot and bleeds every time I Change my gauze. I am cleaning it with soap and water then drying it well before I replace the gauze. Is this normal? If so how long does it take to heal on average?

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question. Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Healing after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photo. It appears that your belly button is healing quite slowly and that some of the skin may not have survived. At 6 weeks after surgery there should not be any drainage or bleeding. Without a physical exam, it is impossible to tell you exactly what is going on. Be sure to have this evaluated by your surgeon or seek a second opinion by a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to evaluate it and see if they have any further recommendations. Best of luck, Dr. Kludt

Nathan Kludt, MD
Stockton Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - bleeding and drainage around belly button all the time

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • You are now almost six weeks after surgery -
  • You should not still have drainage and bleeding around your belly button.
  • Your own surgeon should examine you to see what is going on and to correct it.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS