Weird shape or normal? (photos)

Hi everyone. I'm two weeks post op and it seems like my right breast is healing perfectly but my left breast has a weird shape to it. Even when I touch it, I can feel that it's misshapen and bumpy. You can see a bit of the shape in the picture. Is this normal?

Weird shape or normal? (photos)

Thank you very much for your question and photographs. At 2 weeks post-op, you are in the early healing phase, and it is much too early to judge your results. You have significantly large implants for your chest size, and it is going to take several months before your breasts have adjusted to the size of the implant. Your skin envelope must also increase to accommodate the large size of your implant, as well. My advice is to be patient; you should see significant changes over the next 1-2 months.

Cleavage Assymmetry

One week is very early in the healing process.  Things that appear asymmetric may correct with time. I agree that your right breast appears to be progressing normally and that the left breast cleavage interface seems different. If appears to be indented at the 9 o'clock position.  my guess is that a small band of the pectoral muscle has been left unreleased at the left side and released at the right.  This often causes indentations and irregularities at the cleavage interface.  Many dissection related asymmetries will correct but some will not.  At this point it is best to wait for a few months and see.  Definitely talk to your surgeon about your concerns.

Photos show 'normal' healing

and understand that things will continue to improve as time goes on.  Breasts get softer, implants settle, and the look becomes more natural.  But you should keep your surgeon in the loop if you are having major concerns so the reassurances you need can be provided to you.

Curtis Wong, MD

Shape of breast during the recovery

Thank you for your question. Based on your photos, it appears to be healing just fine.
I will take couple more week for you feel comfortable and for the swelling to go down.
Continue to follow up with your surgeon and let your surgeon know of your concerns.

Dr. Peter Newen

Peter Newen, MD

Shape

Thank you for the question and photos but you are very early in the healing process and things will change but let your surgeon know your concerns

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Shaping during healing

Your breasts will settle at different rates.  Think of them as sisters, not twins.  You are very early in your recovery, and based on the photos you provided it appears you are healing normally.  Continue to follow the advice of your plastic surgeon and keep all follow up appointments so that he/she can accurately track your progress.  Good luck.

Camille Cash, MD

Asymmetric result 2 weeks after breast augmentation

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

Everyone worries about their result at this point, after an under-the-muscle breast augmentation.
  • Your right side has already started to settle -
  • Your left breast has not.
  • One side always settles first.
  • There is a slight indentation on the inner edge - this is likely to improve as swelling subsides.
  • Be sure your surgeon is aware of your concerns but things have only started to improve. Give it time.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Weird shape or normal?

At two weeks post operative you are still early in the healing stages. It is not uncommon for one breast to settle and or heal quicker than the other. Typically speaking it takes 6 weeks to 3 months for implants to settle and swelling to subside, until then I would not worry. You should conitnue to follow up with your chosen surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Quite common

abc 1234:  You have what appears to be a bit of a retained inframammary fold on your left side.  In other words, where your lower breast pole meets your chest wall.  This fold was lowered during your surgery to accommodate the implant.  It appears to have completely relaxed on your right side but remnants of the fold are still present on your left.  More than likely this will resolve on its own over the next few weeks of maybe months.  Try and be patient.  I think your result will ultimately be excellent!

Best of luck to you!

G. Robert Meger MD

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon