I weighed 395 and now I'm at 320... Do you think I should get Tummy tuck or liposuction? (photos)

I had a gastric bypass 6 years ago but got pregnant 9 months later...I had went down to my lowest 265...and now im at 320..my worst is my tummy that over laps...I get super depressed...I got approved for revision gastric..but I guess my question is cant I just have the tummy tuck instead of revision

Tummy tuck or lipo

You definitely need a tummy tuck, but I would want you to lose some more weight first.  Liposuction would be a waste of time and money.  Try to lose about fifty more pounds, then I think you would be fine for the tummy tuck.

Tummy tuck and liposuction aren't for weight loss

Your last sentence asked whether you could just have a tummy tuck instead of a gastric bypass revision. Those two surgeries have completely different goals. The tummy tuck will remove excess skin and some fat, but not a lot of weight, while the bypass should lead to actual significant weight loss. Although many surgeons on this site stated that your BMI should be less than 30 before a tummy tuck, which is ideal, I've done many tummy tucks on patients with higher BMI's with dramatic improvement and no safety issues. Some patients actually lose large amounts of weight AFTER their tummy tucks, to an extent they never could before, with beautiful results. Even so, your BMI is truly VERY high, and my strong recommendation is that you lose as much of the excess weight as possible before surgery to maximize safety and your post-tummy tuck appearance. Since you've been approved for a bypass revision, that may be your best option to begin. You should discuss this with your own doctor, who knows you, in order to determine the best plan.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Tummy Tuck/ Abdominoplasty/ Reverse Tummy Tuck/ Liposuction/Muscle Plication/ Fleur de lis Abdominoplasty

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Weight loss, candidate for tummy tuck or liposuction

Congrats on your weight loss from 395 to 320.

But you're not done with weight loss, and probably not yet a candidate for either liposuction or a tummy tuck.  

Brent Moelleken, MD

I weighed 395 and now I'm at 320

I'm afraid your weight is still much too high for elective cosmetic surgery, especially a tummy tuck. You need to get your BMI lower than 30 before even considering surgery. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Thank you for the question and ideally you should be at a lower stable weight prior to a cosmetic procedure.  That said you would benefit from a panneculectomy and that may be covered by insurance

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Tummy tuck

You are not a candidate for liposuction of the abdomen. The significant amount of skin laxity will require a full panniculectomy. Plication of the rectus muscle also needed for a flatter abdomen 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Do you think I should get Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Thank you for the question and picture. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Having said the above, occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

TT or lipo?

First, congratulations on the weight that you were able to lose.  Obviously, life can through curve balls at us like it did with your pregnancy.  At this point, if you have been approved for a gastric bypass revision, that would likely be in your best interest to lose more weight before considering having any body contouring surgery.  Based on the single pic you have submitted, it is pretty clear that at the very least you will need some sort of tummy tuck, but I would recommend the revision with additional weight loss first (you should shoot for a BMI of less than 30 ideally).  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

No lipo or TT at 320

You need to lose weight for either a TT or a liposuction.  Once your weight is well below 200 for a year or  so you can consider surgery for further reduction.  My Best,  Dr Commons