Follow-up Question - Why did the cosmetic surgeon cancel my surgery?

7 years ago i had set a date for my surgery. I was going to get a tummy tuck and breast aungmentation . I got my medical and cardiologist clearance. Both said i was in perfect health but because previously in 2001 i had a small surgery to cure my WPW (wolf parkinson white syndrome) Dr. Decided to cancel my surgery. It was very confusing . Can this happen again? I want to schedule a consultation to see my options.

To see previous question, please click here.

Can I have cosmetic surgery if I have a medical problem?

If a person has a medical problem, we try and get medical clearance from their doctors for #cosmetic surgery. If it is indicated, we would even do this in a hospital and even with an overnight stay. We do have excellent cosmetic surgery rates for that. 

Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Clearance for Surgery

Health and safety is first priority.  We get medical/cardiology clearance for all our patients with a medical history.  The type of clearance will depend on their medical history.  Our anesthesiologist will evaluate the condition as well to make sure meets all our safety parameters.  We will have a thorough discussion with the patient if the surgery needs to be cancelled.  

Would discuss this with your original surgeon.  It may have been the anesthesiologist who a had a reason to feel uncomfortable with the surgery.

Make sure you have a thorough consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who has extensive experience in this procedure. Check her/his experience, credentials, reviews, before and after photos, and have a quality consultation.  

It is preferred for your surgeon to be member of "American Society of Plastic Surgeons" and ideally member of "American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery". This means they have been evaluated by the society and recognized that the focus of their practice is high volume and quality, honest aesthetic plastic surgery and they adhere to a code of ethics.

All my best,

Payam Jarrah-Nejad, MD

Medical Clearance for Surgery

The only way to know what concerns and factors the surgeon was considering is to ask them. If you are medically stable and healthy now, clearance from your specialists should be sufficient. You will need to discuss your case in person with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.

All the best

Why did cosmetic surgeon cancel my surgery

I would recommend discussing this question with the surgeon who decided to cancel your surgery 7 years ago.  If your cardiologist still thinks it is safe for you to have elective surgery then seek opinions from other board certified plastic surgeons if your surgeon does not wish to operate on you. Best of luck to you

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Why was my surgery cancelled?

Thank you for your question.  I would recommend discussing this further with the surgeon that cancelled your surgery 7 years ago.  I would not be able to answer this question.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your operating MD that cancelled your surgery 7 years ago.  I require all my patients to be cleared for elective surgery by their PMD and for you would also require Cardiology clearance.  Patient safety first.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Surgery Cancelled

Only the original doctor can answer this question. It is important to discuss all of your medical history before any surgery. Safety and your health should be the number one priority.

It is good that you are reconsidering surgical options. If your health has been stable for the last 7 years I do not see any reason why you would not be a surgical candidate.

I was my surgery canceled? WPW syndrome?

I would only be guessing to determine what the reasoning was to cancel your surgery but one thing that pops to mind would be an arrhythmia or bout of rapid heartbeat prior to induction of anesthesia.  If your minor procedure was successful in your free of any irregular heartbeats or rapid rhythms with medical clearance it should be safe for you to undergo the procedure.  In my office we would require an updated medical clearance which should not be difficult for you to obtain from her internist or cardiologist.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Surgery candidate

Only your surgeon can answer why your surgery was cancelled.  If you decide to visit with another surgeon,  discuss your concerns up front so that preparations can be made.  If done in an accredited facility and all medical staff are aware and ok with your medical history, you should still be a candidate for surgery.  

Camille Cash, MD

WPW and desiring surgery

If your surgery is performed in an accredited surgical setting with appropriate anesthesia personel, having WPW is not a contra-indication to surgery. Please see examples of mommy makeovers below.

Arian Mowlavi, MD