What size will my breasts be after they settle?

I have breastfed 4 babies and I was a C cup before augmentation. I received 480-510 cc. I want large breasts and told my PS I wanted to be a full DD cup.

480-510cc?

It is very difficult to determine the best lift you will need (recommended based on your photos) or the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 300 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. The same process goes for just filling in the upper part of your breast without becoming much larger. Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the link below including silicone vs saline implants

Cup Size After Breast Augmentation

Thank you very much for your question and congratulations on your recent breast augmentation. Unfortunately, there is no way to determine your exact cup size after a breast augmentation. Cup size is not a standard measurement of breast size. Cup size is dependent on the bra manufacturer, and changes from brand to brand. However, you may be very happy with your new breast proportions, even if you are not a full DD. If you still have concerns, I would advise that you contact your operating surgeon to further discuss what to expect from your breast augmentation results.

Paul Vitenas, Jr., MD

Implant Volume and Bra Cups

You should have been told before surgery that there is NO WAY to guarantee a cup size because their is no reliable or reproducible formula that equates implant volume to cup sizes. Similarly, we cannot predict for you either. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

What Size with Breasts Be After Implants Settle

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

While there is no real way to tell exactly what the final result will look like once the implants settle, it is always best to have realistic expectations for the appearance and to follow-up with your surgeon as regularly schedule as well as for any concerns or issues that arise during the healing period. Good luck.

Settling

I believe with proper planning and communication with your surgeon prior to surgery, you should be assured of a nice result.  Keep the lines of communication with your surgeon.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Ali Mosharrafa

Ali Mosharrafa, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

WHAT SIZE WILL I BE?

It's hard to say exactly what size you will be just from your question. Needless to say, I believe you will be quite a bit bigger and I would be surprised if you do not achieve your goals of feeling and looking more beautiful. Congratulations on your recent surgery. Best wishes, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Bra-cup size vs. Implant size

Please know that it is a common misconception that implant size correlates with the bra cup size. A bra-cup size itself requires many measurements to describe it.

Bra sizes vary among manufacturers, and they can label the cup size by any designation they choose. So a C will be a D for another. Additional factors, such as demi and full cup coverage, specific fabrics, padding, and elastics, can all affect the fit of a bra.

If we consider all things being equal – i.e., you get a bra from the same manufacturer and of the same style, - then I think you might find it helpful to know that a study by Dr. Bengtson and Dr. Glicksman titled “Standardization of Bra Cup Measurements” has shown that the average implant volume required to increase the cup-size by 1 size is equal to 205 ccs. It was also found that normally breast augmentation increases the cup size by 2. However, it is also important to consider the profile as even a smaller implant with a high profile can increase cup-sizes by the same amount.

You may or may not have done bra-sizing trials in the preoperative consultation with the DD-bra that you wish...regardless, I would advise you that although you give importance to cup size designation, what should matter most is that the implant looks good aesthetically and that the chosen bra fits and feels comfortable.

All this being said, if you trust your surgeon and their judgment and the decision-making method used to choose the implant size, then you should be in good hands. Make sure to fully and comprehensively share your desires, expectations, and concerns to avoid miscommunication and post-operative concerns/regrets.

Hope this helps

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

It depends on your chest wall measurements and existing breast tissue as implant size does not accurately correlate to a bra size.  It also depends on the brand and style of bra you wear as size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure; although your curiosity is understandable, there is no way online consultants will be of precise help to you.  There is no accurate/reliable/predictable correlation between size/profile breast implant utilized and cup size achieved. For example, I do not think that the generalizations of "200 cc equates to 1 cup" hold any validity or are helpful in any specific or practical way. 

Although your curiosity is understandable, there is no way online consultants will be of precise help to you. I suggest that you wait to evaluate the final result/size of the surgery (and go bra sizing/shopping)  when you are about 6 months to a year out. I would also suggest that you do not base your satisfaction with the results of surgery on a specific cup size, given that this is somewhat arbitrary and dependent on who makes the bra (and who does the measuring).

Hopefully you will  enjoy the outcome of the breast procedure (regardless of specific cup size  achieved).